Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have a Cisco Router 1700

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomLon

Technical User
Jul 19, 2002
US
I have a Cisco Router 1700 that our company is not using. I would like to connect to it through the Aux/Console port through my lap top, however, my laptop does not have a com port (IBM Tp T41). I do have the console cable that came with the router, what are my options. I am very green when it comes to cabling, so please bear with me.

Also, I am sure that there is a password on it, is there away to recover it? I have put a call in to the former tech that installed it, but I am waiting for him to call back. I would like a way to resolve the password without destroying the exising setup. Am I wishful thinking?

Then I am assuming that I would plug the USB-DB9 cable in my USB port of my PC. Plug the concole cable into the router (aux port; which looks like a RJ45 port). Then connect those cables together. If that is the case, I would I login to the router with this connection? Would I use hyperterminal? If I do, what connection type do I use?

In general you're safe with 9600/N/8/1 (which are the HT defaults). You'll need to choose whatever COM port is assigned to the dongle after you install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back