Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Have a BCM450 R5 backup, BFT replaced is a R6 - will a restore work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ts312

Technical User
Dec 11, 2008
US
Have a BCM450 R5 backup, BFT replaced is a R6 - will a restore work?

BCM450 BFT is being swapped.
The BFT/HDD was a Release 5.
The new BFT being installed is a R6.
Will I be able to do a restore of my R5 backup to the R6 BFT ?

If memory serves me I belive the system ID is held on the BFT of the 450 if that's the case then I would say no it wont work. Yo4ur license from the rls 5 will not be good on the rls 6.

You are correct about the system ID being held on the BFT.
However when it came down to it we tried anyway - I was able to transfer the keycodes from the old (release 5) BFT to the new (release 6) BFT and successfully restored the release 5 backup I had.
All is good.
Thanks.

So you used the KRS to do this correct? I was assuming you were just changing BFT's. Glad to here you got it working.

I didn't know that a release 5 keycode would actually work on a release 6 system. Can you confirm that this was what you did please?.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Correct - I had a release 5 BFT/system that died. I swapped the BFT (which showed on Avaya's website as a R6) but kept the old HDD. Used KRS.avaya.com to transfer keycodes from old bft (r5) to new bft (r6) and it worked. Then restored my r5 backup and it worked. Confirmed system shows it is now a R6. (keycodes transferred include: ivr, mcm, ip set).
No trouble - I was pleasantly surprised!

I dont get this.

Rls X is in the software which is non the HDD not the BFT

How does a BFT come into play in regards to a release #?

Key codes are against the MSC card no?

And how is a 5.0 to 6.0 upgrade free?
This means NTC01600KC sold is a fraudulent key auth code?

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

curly if I had to bet I would say that the upgrade might have been part of the migration code from 1 system to the other. jbmamz if you pull your system in the krs does it show an upgrade as part of the move over?

And the MSC with sys ID is correct with BCM 1000 and 400 not the 450 it is tied to the BFT.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but i'll recap:

BCM450 Base Function Tray (BFT) does not have a separate Media Services Card (MSC) - it is "on board" on the BFT.
So when I refer to the release of the BFT of a BCM450 the system ID is tied to that.

When I look up the System ID of my "defective" BCM450 BFT on KRS, Avaya shows it as a Release 5.
When I look up the System ID of my "replacement" BFT on KRS, Avaya shows it as a Release 6.
I used KRS to "transfer the keycodes" from the "defective unit" to "replacement" unit, there was no previous "upgrade" keycode, nor was I told the transfer was incompatible due to the different Release numbers.
However the transfer was successful, I double checked now and the replacement still shows Release 6.
So I had no problems restoring my "release 5" backup to the "release 6" replacement BFT.

I dint know they got rid of the MSC.

I am curios jb as to what the Manufacturer SW Version and the SW Version numbers show under Keycodes in Element Manager

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

They show 450 Release 6 ( See Screenshot: )
Manufacturing SW Version: 450.06
SW Version: BCM450 Release 6.0

I can only assume the BFT I purchased was purchased as a release 6 and that must be why I never needed to purchase an additional "upgrade" keycode.

Interesting, I would have thought the hard drive would need the software applied to it.

So SYSID moved from MSC to BFT and Software from HDD to BFT is what I am seeing.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back