Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hatching tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

summajet

Technical User
Jan 5, 2005
US
I was wondering if anyone knows how to hatch a boundary formed by polylines? The problem i'm having is that my boundary has many curves and not in the same direction. I am using this hatch along the proposed roadways.

I would appreciate any help.
G.

If your region to be hatched is enclosed, you should be able to hatch it - what error message do you get? The command "bpoly" may help you create a separate polyline to hatch. And if you have 2005, you are allowed to set tolerance so that an area with small gaps can be hatched.

Hi Carl, I am not getting any error messages when I try to hatch. The problem that i'm having is when I try to use the std. hatch for concrete is that it does not apply the hatch. I am trying to hatch sidewalks along a road that is about 300' and it has curves and reverse curves in the same street-polyline (region. I can make smaller segments to hatch and it works fine. It seems that it is when the curves are not in the same direction.

I appreciate your suggestions on this.

Garland

AutoCAD should not have any problem hatching an area with reversing curves or different objects forming the boundary. I think there is some other reason it is not hatching:
1. There is a gap in your boundary. But...you should be getting an error message if this is the case.
2. Your drawing is at very large coordinates (say near or over 1,000,000 for x or y), which confounds AutoCAD in filleting and hatching properly.
3. Some boundary objects are not all on the same plane. Fix with "flatten"
4. Your scale is so large that nothing is showing up.........?

Yes both the X and Y coordinates are over a million. It is based on Virginia Nad 83 coords. I do not have a gap in the polygon. I think it has something to do with having curves going in opposite directions.

Thanks, G.

Ok try copying the linework to a location a lot closer to 0,0 and see if the hatching works there.......

I copied the linework to 0,0 and it said that the hatch was too dense to display. I am using the ar-conc hatch. It has to be something to do with the curves,compound and also reverse curves in the same line,region.

Got any other ideas?

G.

Well if you got the message "too dense to display" I think your region is OK, just a problem with the hatch. Try using a different (larger) scale. Or you may need to change your "maxhatch" setting to a larger number.

I am using autocad 2002 and does it have a maxhatch setting?

Garland

Copied from help: (note you need to type "MaxHatch" and match case of each letter)
=======================================================

Note By default, AutoCAD won't create a hatch pattern that consists of over 10,000 segments. The limit is set by the MaxHatch setting in the registry. To reset the limit to 50,000, for example, enter (setenv "MaxHatch" "50000") at the Command prompt. The limit can be reset to any value between 100 and 10,000,000.

Thanks Carl, that worked and I only now have to hatch a sidewalk about every 4,600 feet total lenght ofr both sides of the walk.

Thanks, Garland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back