Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone taken the 70-290 new M$ simulation exam? 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

alliknowisnetworking

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2005
US
I want to know how much the new M$ simulation exams differ from the old ones. Are there a lot of sim questions? Let me know the changes you have seen.

Hey!

My interpretation, aftertaf?[surprise]

It's true that I failed both 70-290 and 70-291 the first time. I passed them both the second time, and I wouldn't say that they were a nightmare by any stretch.

Now 70-299, that was a nightmare, but again I only failed it the first time.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

70-290 Went to take this exam a couple of weeks ago - I was almost 2 hours into the exam and one of the simulations blew. Total PC lockup. Had the vendor reboot with the guidance of Prometric - but the quiz came back with a license error - all my data was gone! These sims were released too soon. Have not rescheduled yet...the SUS redirection question was unreal...

VeenCNE,

It really sucks that your test got screwed up like that, but I don't think it has all that much to do with the simulations.

I've heard of this happening to others before the sims were added, and fortunately it's never happened to me.

Wishdiak

It isn't sim related. Unfortunately sometimes the pc's used for testing aren't that great. I haven't personally experienced a pc lockup during an exam but I have spoken to others who have.

I do agree that the sims are not exactly upto scratch tho.

SimonDavies,

I think that Vue at least is making an effort to have higher standards for the PCs used for testing. I actually had a test center reschedule on my last fall because their new PCs had arrived, but they needed to have 17" monitors to certify with Vue and one had not arrived.

I don't know about Prometric, but I would imagine that they'd take the same steps to avoid having machines that aren't up to the task.

Wishdiak

Passed the 70-290 about two weeks ago and went on vacation..This was a challenging test. Having been through about 8 other Novell exams - the simulations were fair (except one on setting up the network which is really more of a 291 topic.... Score = 850 but studied a lot especially the 'Common Tasks' on the Windows Server 2003 online documentation. Good Luck.

VeenCNE, what do you mean "Common Tasks" on the windows server 2003 online docs, were exactly is that at.??

thanks for the tip.

Sat this exam yesterday. Passed with 850. I was a little nervous about this one as it was my first certification exam taken in 4 years.

After reading some of the stories about simulations crashing etc I didn't really know what to expect. All simulations in my exam worked well. They did seem a little kludgy in that they didnt behave in the same way as the real dialog box in the OS. Still I think they are a good way of testing knowledge. Cant wait to see how they evolve :)

well done 4x4 congrats [cheers]

as for crashing, with or without sims, i found some of the 2003 mcse track unstable, and it seems to be prometric being a bit rubbish to be honest (test centre holds same opinion)

292- crashed 5 times during, then at end, didn't know result for 2 weeks.
293 crashed a bit
294 same
297 same.

Aftertaf
We shall prevail, and they shall not

Thanks mate.

Only place I can take mine here is a Vue testing centre. They have been pretty good. Got through 290 and 291 with no crashes thusfar.

Fingers crossed ...

Unfortunately I took the 70-290 when I was not feeling well and should have rescheduled so I failed and I felt like I had really studied and did alot of hands on but none the less when you are not feeling well it does interfere. I have never been good on tests but always better hands on so I felt terrible that I failed but was happy to know I was not alone. Thank you all for your comments and overview of some of the sims I will be going back over all of this as I am taking the 70-290 tomorrow...say a prayer for me :) Hopefully I can come back with good news...Have a blessed weekend all

Thanks for all the helpful info people!
I've failed the 290 twice with a score of 612 both times...hopefully your tips and a bit of luck will get me through when I take it again in a few days time

I failed again :(
I got a score of 612 again! 3 times in a row...what are the chances?
The test seemed easy enough and I thought I would pass after I had done all the questions, but no dice.
The simulations I got were very easy, mostly setting permissions on shares and advanced NTFS permissions etc.
I'm taking it again in 14 days time...if I get 612 again I'm going to kill someone

I know how you feel mate, I failed it three times as well, mine were within 1 or 2 questions of a pass.

Do you know what areas you're failing in? Are you doing any self tests (Transcender? Boson?).

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

I took the 70-290 test for the first time about 2 hours ago, and passed with 850. I had sims for resetting a users password, setting some IIS settings (changing the port number, restricting bandwidth), adding users to a group and changing it from a distribution to a security group. I was a bit worried that the exam might expect me to know what tab and checkbox to press from memory, so the sims were a pleasnt surprise (I was a bit annoyed that the help and support system didn't work in the sim though :p). They worked well and I didn't have any crashes.

I used the MS Press MCSE book (the blue one, I can't remember it's name) and the exam software that comes with it as well as a TestKing practise exam.

I passed! with 746. The sectional results(strength/weakness areas) seem to be completely different each time. I think the Testking helped quite a bit. Now on to the 291..eek

Man, you guys are scaring me! I though I was ready for this exam and now I'm not so sure. Like many of you, I have never failed a MCP exam. I have done NT Workstation and Server as well as Windows 2000 Professional and Server.

I am using Transcender but the interactive SIMS do not work on my PC. The Flash ones work but now the more complicated ones. I have a copy of 2003 Server loaded and I have completed a college class in 2003 Server. I also have 4 years of real world 2000 administration. Does that make a difference or is this test just that screwy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back