Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone taken the 70-290 new M$ simulation exam? 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

alliknowisnetworking

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2005
US
I want to know how much the new M$ simulation exams differ from the old ones. Are there a lot of sim questions? Let me know the changes you have seen.

The one thing I noticed studying for the 290, There is no coverage of VPN/RAS and the various methods of Remote Access Authentication. Is this something that M$ is not stressing on the 290?

"Users are like Prostitutes,..They need guidance"-Myself
A+,Network+,MCP+2000

alliknowisnetworking,

You'll see VPN/RAS come up quite a bit on the 70-291. I don't recall seeing it much on the 70-290 myself.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

i got the 3 sims that 'greatgatsby' mentions above....infact i got most of the topics/questions u state

My test seemed to be very close to greatatsby. I seem to remember a weird question about backing up an sql server. also a few questions on advanced ntfs rights. And questions on performance monitor counters and when they wer out of theshold. Also a question on starting and stopping print queues.

I took 290 today and scraped with 737 score. Thanks for all your pointers on subjects. For the sims I got a setup of SUS with another SUS server, Share and NTFS setup for 2 groups, Setup of Roaming Profiles in AD Users and Computers. I got loads on NTBackup with one requesting the "AT" command.

Oh Well one less to do now. Onto the 291 next.

I took the exam tonight as well as last Monday. I bombed both times. I have to admit that I didn't study like I should've

My weakness was permissions... I did worse on this test than the first test. I didn't read this thread before taking it tonight or I would have not taken it until I studied my a** off.

I got hit with a few sims... adding a server to the domain, unlocking a user and making sure the account never expires, setting up a website-->using port 8080 and making sure the bandwidth of 2048k, I also had a sim question on Shadow Copy which I had to create.. very easy.. about 4 questions on ASR and also adding a virtual server from a file.

However, the test was adaptive. Whatever I got wrong, those type of questions were coming in full force. They discovered my weakness was permissions, global and local groups, and punished me.

I had a few ntbackup.exe questions which I thought were very easy.. word of advice... learn all the switches for advance usage of ntbackup.exe. The backup questions were easy after studying them, but difficult because I was raised in a Veritas world.

I thought the sims were very easy because they were kinda like real world in the sense that you do that stuff everyday. I had 44Q on both test and it took roughly about 2hrs/15mns.

My word of advice after failing twice is to study study and study permissions... know effective permissions, permissions across domains and group permissions.

Also had a few Terminal Server questions... they were fairly easy if you know TS. However, they did inquire about permissions for Remote desktops via RPC. I'm going to take it again Saturday after next... I'll pass the next time... I'm going to study, study, study and when I can't study any longer... I'll study again... failing sucks!!!

Last and least... no SP1 on the exam ... Good luck to all who come after me.... I'm off to study while all of this is fresh in my head

**** Those who take advantage get advantage ****

Guys I am studying for the exam and want to make sure I am prepared for the new exam, 2 months ago before the 290 exam changed I took the test and failed by a wide margin, so I am constantly reviewing everyones comments and looking for advise, I have the MIC Press Training Kit Book, and a small network at home, if there is something else that yall strongly suggest I read or purchase please let me know.
keep them tips and advise coming..

thanks..

Jhonnyboy,

The advice that I give most people who ask is to use the Readiness Review CD Rom that comes with the MS Press MCSE books.

While the readiness review does not cover the exam simulations, AFAIK, the practice questions are often more strenuous than the actual exam questions.

The Readiness Review exams are not fun by any stretch, but they are difficult enough to teach the finer points of what Microsoft tests you on.

Wishdiak

Jhonnyboy: I strongly suggest you look into actualtest.com, they help out a lot because you'll know what format the questions will be in. You will also need to study the material and know it really well, but these definitely help because you will go in and know what to expect.

Hi,

After reading this thread I feel a bit more easy about resitting my next MS exam. I am doing the 70-294 and have failed it twice. It is the Active Directory Infrastructure exam. After failing the second attempt I am at a point of despair because I have put in loads of study for it. I have used Exam Cram and MS Press including the practice exams. Personally I don't think that these practice test are anything like the real thing, although the MS Press ones are a bit closer.
I have found with this exam that there is still a load of questions realate to Managing Groups and permissions. Whilst I know GPO's well I still find these questions hard. Also there are a lot of questions on Sites and Site link bridges and prefered bridgehead servers that are difficult. Basically, I just need to know if anyone knows where I can find study material on these areas especially Groups and permissions and Sites Management.
I have been on the MS course and read the press book and used Exam Cram and find technet useful but still find the exam hard.
Also, if anyone is thinking of doning this one there are no sim questions yet and I got 35 questions in 1 hour and a half.
I am going to look at tygressjanie's suggestion of actualtest.com next.
sorry this is long message I hope you all don't get bored before you reach the end :)

Thanks.

roary: While you're taking the test, on permission questions, I find that sometimes you kind of get confused on just what they are asking you to put where and often they give you so many groups you forget by the time you're done with the question. What has helped me out a lot is that the testing center usually gives you a blank piece of paper to write on: go through the question and write down each group and person, etc, and what the question is asking you to do. I had a question that really got me on my 290, which of course has a lot of permissions as well, and I wound up reading it three times before I could even figure out where they were going with it. It helped me out a lot to write it out so I could figure out what it was they were wanting and I'm absolutely certain I got it write.

Also, if you're not certain on any of the questions, don't sit there forever on it. Either mark it for review and come back to it, or select an answer that you think is the most likely answer, and mark it for review and come back to it again later. Sometimes you might get another question in the test that is similar and it will spark something in your memory. This will help you to get more right in the long run, and it will also help to aleviate some of your nervousness as you won't feel that you have to get it finished RIGHT NOW, you know you can come back to it and you might find some help throughout the rest of the test.

Hope this advice helps some more as well :)

Thanks for that advice i'll try using the paper to write on next time though when I have done this I panic about running out of time. Are all of these exams 1.5 hours? I read that someone had 3 hours for an exam. My main problem is not having enough time.
Also do you know any good sources of study that provide questions like in the exam. Someone elese has pointed me to

Transcender is good, I also like techexams.net and the one I mentioned before, actualtests.com. They are all close to what the actual questions are going to look like so it will prepare you the best for what you might encounter.

I haven't run out of time on any of my tests thusfar...my norm is to have about an hour left, and that is with reading over the questions very slowly and calmly and with writing out any that I'm not sure on. Don't get me wrong, there were only a couple that I wound up having to write out as I only had a couple, maybe three, that were big long one's for permissions; on the rest I maybe had to make a couple notes to see if I was getting things straight. It's not like you're going to have to write an entire novel ;-) You'll just be writing down the names of the people or groups they give you in the questions, etc. and trying to put them in the correct place. You could even practice doing that with the transcender or actualtest questions if you wanted to so that you get the idea. There are a lot of things that you can do to prepare.

The main reason I always like to suggest that people look over the practice tests is that it helps you to not be blindsided by what the real test you're going in for has. If someone isn't prepared for the way Microsoft writes some of their questions they may wind up getting pretty confused, but if you know the material, look over the questions, etc., get a good night's rest :), you should be calm going into it, and as long as you don't get worked up when you're in there if you see something you don't know or remember, you can just come back to it....like I said, you may see another question that might remind you of something, or you may be able to sit and think about it and do process of elimination.

Process of elimination was something that was big on the tests I had to take in the military and has actually helped me a lot on Microsoft's tests. Most of the time they'll give you two answers that really don't make much sense (and Microsoft seems to do this too), and then they will give you two answers that are pretty close and seem like they might fit...they might have similar wording, or they might both seem to be possible, but if you really think about the question and what they're asking you, you'll realize that one is either the MORE CORRECT answer, or one just doesn't fit at all. They really will get you with that, but you have to just be smarter than the test. That is one more reason the practice questions are good. I know some people think that it's cheating, but I really just don't think it is. There's no way to remember 400+ questions by heart unless you're some kind of super human. It's simply another means of preparation...to get your mind in that way of thinking, to know what types of questions they might ask, the subjects you need to look over, etc.

I found the paper and pen approach very useful on each exam i've sat.

about Questions:
I'd give myself a minute to read thruogh the question once or twice, then summarize it by writing what they want.. sometimes only 3 or 4 words, but the essential behind the stuffing...

About Answers:
If a 'choose one from the following' then write each letter.. A B C D for example, and ELIMINATE those you can be more or less certain about. Cross out the letter. look at those that remain, see if they are the same apart from one word or two... and you'll be able to understand what they are saying...

If a 'choose X: each is a complete solution', then do the same as above... get rid of those that by elimination have something wrong about them.

If a 'choose X: each is part of the solution' then cross out those that can't work, even when combined with the other options...

and don't take too much time, but take your time.

Aftertaf
________
I reserve the right to be wrong, be confused, be suffering because it is monday, or because it is nearly the weekend.

Thanks guys (Tigressjanie and Aftertaf) some usefull tips in there. I have been able to get some prep from TestKing and I'm pleased with the content so combined the hours of reading MS books and Exam Crams I've done etc I should have a good go at it next time. (In a couple of weeks).
Are you guys well on your way to MSCE's then? Thats my plan. Does the 2000 Pro MCP count towards 2003 MCSE? As there is no workstation in the 70-290 to 294 route I doubt it but i'll take all I can get?
Thanks Roary :-0

70-210 and 70-270 both count towards the 2003 MCSE, you only need to take one of them and I would advise that you actually take 70-270 in this instance. It's closer to the 290 exam than 70-210 is... I have both exams and whilst both are easy I have to admit that 270 is better suited for the whole 2003 route.

I would be careful of relying on Testking material, some of it them are just plain wrong and you don't want to get those wrong answers in your head.

Some of us are now MCSE's.

Roary...

which MCPs have you actually passed at the moment?

I've heard the others all say that 290/291 are a nightmare...

I didnt go the full track on 2003, i started on getting my MCSA 2000. Then i upgraded to 2003 with the 292, and finished off the 2003 requirements for MCSE.

Aftertaf
________
I reserve the right to be wrong, be confused, be suffering because it is monday, or because it is nearly the weekend.

aftertaf,

I wouldn't say that 70-290 and 70-291 are a nightmare. The scope of these exams is very broad (especially 70-291) and IMHO, Microsoft does a good job of testing a candidate's knowledge of diverse topics.

The bad news: most people fail either 70-290 or 70-291 (or both) the first time. The good news: 70-293 (which I've passed) and 70-294 (which I haven't taken) seem to be far less difficult.

Wishdiak

true...
my interpretation of your experience with these exams is where the word nightmare comes from... :)

Aftertaf
________

I will be honest and say that I found 290 to be the hardest exam, I only failed 291 the first time because I didn't do any revision on RRAS or IAS, had I done so I would have passed the exam on the first attempt (I actually didn't answer any questions correctly for RRAS or IAS on the first attempt whereas I did really well on the DNS\DHCP side of things).

Of 293 and 294 I found both of them quite easy, I think the easiest exam was of course 270 then 293, 294, 298, 291, 299 and then 290. The Sec+ was also very easy for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back