Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone taken the 70-290 new M$ simulation exam? 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

alliknowisnetworking

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2005
US
I want to know how much the new M$ simulation exams differ from the old ones. Are there a lot of sim questions? Let me know the changes you have seen.

I took it today. I was unlucky enough to have taken it early March and I failed. Then I took it again after the new updates. I failed again. The test in March was much easier without the simulation question. The simulations did not seem that hard but they were long and poorly worded much like a lot of the test. I had 5 sim questions, and the test was 45 total. One simulation question I know for a fact did not work. One part of the question was to add a new user through Active Directory Users and Computers. I could not get the new user screen to come up. I did not complain because even if I got that question right I still would not have passed. They gave me like three hours to take the exam.

I am taking it today, the last time I took this I had 44q and I agree that some of the sims didn't work correctly.

I found it pretty much the same as the other 290 exams I have taken (this will be #4 now :()

OK, just taken and passed the new 290 exam, this seemed easier than all of the previous ones but I can tell you that on all those occasions the questions were pretty similar.

I again had 5 sims, they were the same as the last time and I still had some issues with them not working as I would expect. I found some of the other questions and sims very easy and on one or two of the sims they were over in 2 or 3 minutes.

I did a lot of prestudy for this, I was very concerned with the fact that this was my forth attempt (god knows why, I have passed pretty much all of the others on the first attempt with the exception of NIS). Anyway, I passed with a score of 812 which makes me a happy chap, as long as I got over 700 I was happy :)

Hey SimonDavies, How much of the test was on Managing Group Accounts, ie. Security Groups (Global, Universal, Domain Local) etc etc?

Did you find it to be balanced or what?

Also I might really have a problem with these sim tests, now that a couple of you guys are saying that some of the sim questions didnt work. WTF is that all about M$!?

Congrats on passing!! Part of the "test" might be to figure out how to get it to work!

Good luck on your future studies!!

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

SimonDavies,

Congratulations on passing! Hopefully Microsoft will work the bugs out of the simulations before they add them to other exams.

I hope to take 70-294 before broken simulations are added to that one.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

alliknowisnetworking, I had one sim on that, basically changing a global distribution over to a universal security and adding an additional user. I also had a number of questions on the whole groups thing. One other sim was a user pw reset and user account expiration question, very easy and over in less than 2 minutes for that one.

I believe the other exams (70-293 and 70-294) are due to go sim in June, I have to say tho that I found 70-294 very easy. I got 901 for that one, 70-293 was also easy with 850 or so on that. I think the one I found the hardest was actually 70-290 for some silly reason, I got some mixed up crap in my head and it took me a couple of retries and rereading the book to sort that out. I only have 70-291 left for my MCSE2003 and 70-299 for my MCSE:Security so not too much left :)

I am having trouble with Group Scopes.

What is the saying that people use to remember how they work?

Isnt it something like Local Group into Domain Local Group, DLG into Universal?

A+,Network+,MCP

AGDLP : Accounts > Global > DomainLocal > Permissions

Also possible: Accounts > Global > Universal > DomainLocal > Permissions

MCSE NT 4.0
MCSE 2003

I will be taking 291 on Wednesday. As someone else said earlier, I thought 290 was ridiculously hard. Got 985 on 270 and then passed 290 on the second try with only 700!!!!

I read the MS Press Book and another - usually Syngress or Sybex, then do Transcender. I have a mini-network at home and try to do all the suggested exercises in the MS-Press book.

Good Luck LordAfa
I'm going to take 70-291 in last week of April.
Leave some information if you can.
Mac Foxx

LordAfa,

Good luck with 70-291, which is probably the most difficult of the MCSE 2003 core exams. I know a few people who have gotten it on the first try.

Many people fail the 70-290 the first time, expecially after taking 70-270 before hand. The increase in difficulty tends to trip many people up.

On the other hand, 700 is a pass. You will never have to provide your exact score, and you won't have to take it a third time.

Wishdiak

What do ya'll think is hard about the 290? Whats most difficult for me is security group scopes, and the cross domain, cross forest permissions with universal groups, and domain local, and local, and global etc etc.

"Users are like Prostitutes,..They need guidance"-Myself
A+,Network+,MCP+2000

I didn't actually find any one thing too difficult but what I had bad scores on all of the time was Physical and Logical devices and Managing and Maintaining a Server environment. Each time I took the exam I would fail by 1 or 2 questions (actually it was a 1-2-1 fail). I didn't get the whole groups thing at first but then I spent some time on just those and it clicked.

All in all I think that 290 was the hardest for me but 291 was the most daunting. I am waiting to see what 299 is like now.

Good luck with the exam.

SimonDavies,

Not to discourage you, but I found 70-299 to be the most daunting of all the MS exams I've taken. Even after studying and taking practice test, my first attempt at the exam felt like I was taking an exam that I had not prepared for at all.

It's very difficult, and the questions are very granular, but that should be expected from "Implementing Security..."

In any case, I passed it on the second try, and with better preparation, you can probably get it the first time.

Wishdiak

Hey guys/girls,

I wrote the old 290 exam and failed by two questions (best guess). It wasn't a bad exam, but something came up and I had less than an hour to write it.

I wrote the new one yesterday. I didn't find it to be too bad either. The simulations (5) were very easy (you know it or you don't). There was a fair bit on system monitor on remote machines, one good users/groups question, lots on IIS (not in the MOC), and lots on Terminal Services (also not in MOC). There was a question on backing up SUS, and it was tricky. They wanted you to even know the order in which you would use the Windows backup tool as opposed to the IIS backup tool. And know the obscure user rights like "

I didn't find the new one to be too difficult. However, I scored 459. 459!!!!! I have written close to twenty of these exams over the years, and this is only the second one I've ever failed (the first was 270, but I got the wackiest questions ever - I smoked the rewrite). I thought I smoked the new 290, but apparently MS felt otherwise. For preparation, I have Transcenders for all 4 core courses, the MOC books, and I have Virtual PC for a practice network to test this stuff.

I'm not sure what happened. I actually believe MS simply graded it wrong. I think I've passed enough exams to say that. I'm beginning to think MS exams are bs. You have no recourse when you get ripped off.

Here are some topics I recall:

You have two shared folders on one server; users intermittently lose access to one of the shares (error message stating you have exceeded the maximum number of connections on this computer). Is the answer buy more licenses, or change from per server to per seat.

You want to check the system log. Which user right must you have.

You want to provide http access to Remote Administration through Terminal Services. What must you setup...

You have users in different domains, and different groups, and you must give them access to a shared folder in the parent domain. Use enterprise or global groups. (Windows 2003 Functional Domain level)

IIS and SUS backup (know extensively)

You want to find account logon events for a particular user. Do you use the "find" or "filter" functions.

Know your System Monitor for checking a remote SQL server.

Simulation: setup a new website (know which option to choose - i.e. "from file", "virtual folder"), throttle bandwidth, limit size, etc. Very easy, actually.

Simulation: setup a performance alert on remote server. 90% Processor, sample every 5 minutes.

Simulation: setup Volume Shadow Copies for daily backup at 5pm.

It seemed like pretty easy, and fair questions. But, like I said, I got obliterated.

Good luck.

Well, I delayed my 291 test date until today. PASSED on the first try with 837. I don't know how they came up with that score, but I don't care.

First, know DNS, DNS, DNS. The first 7 questions (out of 43) were all DNS. Then there was more later.

Another biggee was DHCP and the rest was a smattering of all the other various stuff.

I had three simulation questions. They're easy if you have any kind of experience with W2K3. My impression is that they're trying to make sure you are not a "paper" MCP. Each simulation takes several steps - but mine were easy.

A final comment on the 291 exam is that this is the first one (after 270 and 290) where I really could easily eliminate 3 choices and be left with the answer. This happened on several questions.

So I guess the summary for me would be not to worry too much about the simulations if you have hands-on experience with W2K3.

Good luck everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back