Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone specified all well-known ports? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleamon

Technical User
Apr 16, 2003
CA
We all hate the "others" column in Sniffer. Getting rid of it and instead showing which ports are actually being used can be a full time job.

I realize that you can sit and enter the "other" ports through Tools -> Options -> Protocols.

My co-workers and I are actually considering sitting down and putting in all the well-known ports and then exporting the registry key. Has anyone already done this? I've searched through the forum and can't find any, but I would think it would be quite useful. There's nothing more time-consuming that sitting with a capture and adding one protocol after another trying to accuratly display the protocol distribution.

Thanks
jon

- First, it's not useful to import every port form the IANA list.
- Second, jleamon had mentioned that the sniffer pro has a limitation of nearly 200 ports.
- Third, it's depends on your network which ports are used. In the past i filter out all others and addd to the lists.

If you go to my site, I've got two .reg sample files for the sniffer pro 4.7 lan.

At the knowledge section (in german called wissen) so you can download a zip-file with tcp and udp ports that i used in the past (
Have fun :)

Werner Fischer
SCM / CCNA / MCSA
look at the frames - bit for bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back