Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone seen this before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zygor

Technical User
Apr 18, 2001
US
I see duplicate records in a table where there aren't any.

If I open the linked table I see duplicate records. If I sort the table, the duplicate records don't sort together. If I run a find duplicates query it doesn't find any.

It gets better. If I copy and paste the entire table to Excel, the dups are there. If I export the table, they are not there. The copy and paste and the export have the same number of records which means some real records are being replaced by these phantom duplicates.

If I do a control F (Find) it jumps to each duplicate but if I apply a filter I only get the single record.

We have tried this in Access 97 and in Access 2003. Both have the same issue. If we run a query via Crystal Reports or through SQL query in Excel, they both return no dups, only the correct records. We have uninstalled Access and reinstalled to no help. We have this on various PCs and in different sites.

If anyone has seen this please advise.

My bad.

The linked table is an Oracle table.

I have duplicated this issue in a brand spankin new database with only the linked table.

Does access recognize the PK ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Excellent question. No. It has assigned it's own (incorrect) PK.

PHV,

I know you sometimes answer a question with a question as a clue to help steer them to the answer.

Is this such a situation?

When I link to the table, it doesn't present the option to select the pk. Nor can I change it once it's in the Access database.

Is there something I'm overlooking?

It has assigned it's own (incorrect)
Why ?
Buggy ODBC driver ?
Poorly designed Oracle table ?
Exotic data type ?
... ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.