Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone seen or heard about new features in Crystal Enterprise 10? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2ce

MIS
Sep 8, 2003
US
I am just curious about what new features will be available once Crystal Enterprise 10 is ready for their consumers.

Does anyone know if CE 10 is included in the developer or advanced edition? Or, is CE 10 going to be sold as a separate product?

How about support for unmanaged reports? There have been rumors that with CE10, .rpt files on the same server that had not been published to CE could no longer be called with a URL. If Crystal says so in their product documentation, it isn't obvious. MJRBIM, have you tried this with your eval copy?

Is anyone aware of any news in the area of view-time security capabilities in CE 10? That is, the ability to have one report instance but control who sees what within that instance, based on their account ID or group membership. I had heard that function was being added to CE10 but I don't see any evidence of it in their "what's new" literature.
Thanks

Wonderful article. Not! How many ways can a tech writer say "Business Views is a system to create Business Objects" without telling what either one is?

Buried somewhere in the verbal fluff is probably an explanation of how to do what bbarnesatl asked, but it is not easy to see. Has anyone actually USED Business Views or seen a demo that shows how this is actually done? The writeup on BV focuses on MERGING data from diverse sources; the question was how to extract SUBSETS from a report's data.

But thanks for sharing the URL. My complaint, as usual, is with Crystal (the message), not you, Brian (the messenger).

The new features mention by rhinok are all in there! The Business view area mentioned is in the form of a Meta Data Layer. This firstly allows you to create Dyanamic Datasources so you can switch datasources as simply as changing a parameter in the report. Very simple! Unfortunately they fell short of adding dyanmic parameters.

You can create Business Views which simplify the data structure being displayed to the report writers. They only see what you want them to. Very nice for collating generic data areas. Your reports are then based on a Business View(s) held on the CE10 repoistory.

The system will allow you to host Office and PDF files within the repository, although there is no audit trail in here as you'd expect to see in something like Sharepoint. Would have been a nice addition!

Theres loads more to play with. Would love to write more but am busy reqriting the custom front end I had plugged into CE8.5 to fit!

I'm going to play around with BusinessViews on my CE-10 TEST environment in the next couple of weeks.

However, with the BO merger - I'm betting that the new BusinessViews will die pretty quickly as it is very similar to the BO "Universe" tool that has been around for many years.

Hi All,

What versions are you guys playing with? Standard, Professional, Premium? I would like to know what features come with what version. Can anyone enlighten me.

Thanks....

Nuffsaid

FYI: I just confirmed with my rep that CE10 has shipped and customers with maint agreements should start receiving it in the next couple weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back