Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone seen or heard about new features in Crystal Enterprise 10? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2ce

MIS
Sep 8, 2003
US
I am just curious about what new features will be available once Crystal Enterprise 10 is ready for their consumers.

I'm supposed to be getting a "preview" of CE 10 in November from one of the CD pre-sales team.

I expect there will be multiple versions of release 10 (Standard, Advanced, Professional, Premium, Super-Mega-Advanced-Premium, etc).

As I often tell the CD folks, I like their products - but hate the ever evolving license models.

What specific functionality is it that you are looking for?

I am interested in knowing if I will be able to have better security options on Crystal Enterprise - especially with Ad Hoc reporting. Right now we have the RAS disabled because we can't control what the users should not have access to. With our 'canned reports' users are restricted by group and folder access and can run only certain reports with specific filters for their department data only.

Hi,
Can't you restrict access at the database level?
By creating views or SPs you should be able to limit the exposure of the underlying data tables. ( this would not stop them from doing dumb things, like creating cartesian joins, but it would secure access to the data)

[profile]

I've heard through the grapevine that CE 10 may contain the following features (please note, this is not official):[ul][li]Microsoft Office Integration - CE 10 could store and manage Excel, Word and Powerpoint documents (as well as other file formats like Text files)[/li][li]CE 10 may have many of the useful Seagate Info tools that were missing from previous versions of CE:[ul][li]Email notification[/li][li]Object Packages[/li][li]Custom Calendars[/li][li]Third-party object support[/li][/ul][/li][li]CE 10 implements 'Business Views', which are semantic data layers most commonly associated with secure ad-hoc querying - think 'Info Views' from Seagate Info[/li][li]CE 10 may provide out-of-the-box audit capabilities, which allow the administrator to monitor report and system usage[/li][li]CE 10 may provide new hyperlink support - you could hyperlink to non-CR objects[/li][/ul]While I'd be happy with any one of these features, I certainly hope they're all offered. Its about time CE inherited some of the old Info features. Hope this answers your question:)

~Kurt

Is anyone aware of the timeline for Version 10 availability? Can users jump from Reports 8.5 and Enterprise 8.5 directly to V. 10?

The "beatings on the jungle-drums" say that CE Version 10 will be released in early 2004...no firm date yet.

I know they have done sneak-peeks for some of the Crystal Decision user groups in Chicago, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Vancover in the last month or so.

Just received a "What's New in CE10" brochure from my rep. Haven't had a chance to look it over real well but one thing that jumped out at me is "Delegated Administration". With CE10 you can delegate admin tasks to other users/roles. So there are three levels of administrators: Global, Application, and Server.
There is a blurb as well about 'new auditing abilities to monitor system usage.'

BobMarley :

Please send the doc to mjrbim-at-interlog-dot-com

U be jammin'

Thanks!

Would also like a copy please.
clarue@rehab.state.al.us

Thanks ahead of time - would love a copy as well. :)

shipd
dana.s.garberg@mail.sprint.com

Hi everybody,
I'm new to this forum but could you forward me the brochure @ alt939@mail.usask.ca. Keep on rockin'

BobMarley,
I'd also appreciate a copy of the brochure you mentioned: frank.hartmann(at)sew-eurodrive.de

thanks in advance

A source at Crystal told me that they have locked the "final version" code on Crystal Enterprise version 10 this week, and will make it publicly available in early January.

Cool. January is better than what I heard, end of Q1.

--Guyute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back