Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone installed SP4 on Windows 2000 Server ? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pav4o

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
I am thinking of installing SP4 on my Windows 2000 Server based DC,but first i want to ask are there any problems after that?

Installed SP4 on production server (IBM eServer 220). After installation of SP4 over SP2, I had two problems. First, workstations couldn't log on, but I could log on over VPN directly to Server. Second, many errors with NTFRS claiming that root moved.

Turned out that, for some reason, the share on SYSVOL was removed. Changing a registry setting from a 0 to a 1 corrected this issue. For NTFRS issue, I had to make the dummy text file named NTFRS_CMD_FILE_MOVE_ROOT in the folder identified in one of the event descriptions. NTFRS found the "new" location and restored itself successfully. No other issues observed at this time.

I am wondering about the sudden run of "bad" packet events coming from one of our PacificBell DNS servers though...seems like this event cropped up after the upgrade, but I can't find a clear analysis of the issue.

hsleviant:
I am have the same issue -- NTFRS claiming root moved and the event suggestion to create 'dummy file' NTFRS_CMD_FILE_MOVE_ROOT. Where can i find info regarding the registry setting that needs to be changed from a 0 to a 1?

thanks!

Well we have loaded SP4 on our cluster W2k Adv & Web Farms Servers ..All Fine.

Contractor
phillip_myint@yahoo.com
MCP

I installed SP4 on a windows 2000 DC. After the installation and reboot, the server never came back up. It went on reboot cycles over and over. The only way to recover from this was to boot to a windows 2000 CD and perform a manual repair of the OS. After this, I re-installed SP3. The server was never stable after this. We had to backup the data, format the drive and rebuild. Be very careful before installing SP4.

Ouch. I haven't installed it on my server, but did install it on my W2K pro machine. Sat there overnite tellimg me is was "Updating the files." Finally re-booted the machine. Didn't help with my problem. (Outlook has performed an illegal function and will shut down.) How long has sp4 been out? I usually wait at least one year before installing on production servers.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"The one duty we owe to history is to rewrite it."
Oscar Wilde (1854-1900); Anglo-Irish playwright.

There are one or two issues with this service pack - wait for the dust to settle is my advice.

Note for all the Citrix admins: "Apparently there is an issue related to Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 and the Citrix ctxnotif.dll. During the logoff process, the ctxnotif.dll deletes the printers. The process hangs (which is probably responsible for the longer logoff times) and only has time to delete the second printer if at all before the winlogon closes all running processes and logs you off."

I have seen this in testing and it's not a Good Thing(TM).

CE

I've read that it's best to stop IIS and web services before installing SP4, that way you avoid the IIS error that was mentioned earlier. As others have suggested, I too am waiting for the thing to stabilize before I install it anywhere. Service Packs should fix problems, not cause them!

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

Ive installed SP4 on a few machines now, ranging from home machines through to 2000 serv and advanced server which are web facing boxes and quite critical

On the whole its been fine, it would not install properly on one server at first effort but did the second time.

Seems fine, havent noticed any problems as yet, nor have I really noticed any benefits :)

----------------------->

We are trying to install W2K SP4 on a server but it gets so far and then comes up with required dll not found error for sp4iis. Clicking ok to that then brings up another error message "setup failed to remove ism.dll script mappings". We can then roll back the installation but of course are left back where we started with SP3. WebShield is disabled and we have tried stopping IIS, and removing the extensions .htr/.htw/.idq/.ida from IIS.

Would be very grateful of ay ideas/guidance as how to actually get SP4 to install on our server.

I just installed it two weeks ago, NO problems at all.

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

I installed SP4 on 12 DCs. No major problems so far. I have on issue on one DC but I don't think it has to do with SP4.

I have a SP3 simple file server and installed SP4 a week ago. At the end, a series of error messages popped up, something about not finding or connecting to various things. What a scare! I rebooted, prepared to uninstall it all. But it started up fine and no problems since.

I installed SP4 on my W2K Pro at home about a month ago and have not had any problems at all. We have 5 servers here at the office (small company) and SP4 has been installed on the ISA Server, our web server and a file server in addition to several Win2K Pro workstations with no problems. As soon as time permits the SQL Server 2K and Exchange 2K (DC) machines will get upgraded. Hope this helps.
Riley

Installed it to try and fix outlook. Lost outlook express and norton anti-virus. Auto protect and e-mail scanning went south. Un-installed sp4 and norton and outlook express works again. (This is on my w2k pro machine.)

Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"The one duty we owe to history is to rewrite it."
Oscar Wilde (1854-1900); Anglo-Irish playwright.

I have installed it on several instances of Win2K Advanced server running IIS and Exchange with no problems whatsoever. I've also installed it both manually and via GPO to numerous Win2K Pro desktops. I haven't had a hiccup either way.

I'm trying to install SP4 on a server that hosts Filemaker Pro 5.5 server as a service. I get an error
"c:\winnt\system32\netstat.exe is open or in use by
another application"
when I try to install Windows 2000 Service Pack4.

What could be using this file?

I have the same problem as mangelv.

After installing Service Pack 4 on a DC it now just reboots infinitely. No Safe Mode, Safe Mode /Network, Safe Mode Console, Last Known Good, or Directory Services recover.

Any suggestions?

I'm going to say sp4 is not ready for prime time yet.

Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn return to the same box."

I have installed SP4 on several servers and workstations, HP, DELL, and IBM systems. Started with offline workstations, then moved carefully onto servers. So far all are ok. Was kind of forced into the upgrade becasue of the recent security issues, and SP4 was a lot easier to install than all the individual patches. For example, one server needed 22 patches initially, but once the SP4 was installed there were only three more needed, so you may want to do the SP before the search is done for individual updates. Still, I highly recommend to do a system backup before any patches are installed, just in case, kind of like, "if it aint broke, at least you can then fix it!" :)

Work of caution though, be sure to disable any anti-virus software, AND stop everything during the update. I only have the programs needed to do the update running during any update, having learned the hard way to many times.

HTH

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back