Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone installed SP4 on Windows 2000 Server ? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pav4o

Technical User
Jan 22, 2003
I am thinking of installing SP4 on my Windows 2000 Server based DC,but first i want to ask are there any problems after that?

I've just started to install it. It's taken a while and seems to be hanging on "Running Processes after install", it's been sitting on that for about 20 minutes and the processor shows no sign of activity?!?!?!

I'm starting to get a bit panicky, this server runs some proprietary Telephony software. I started at 7:30 this morning, it is now 9:00. This must be the longest service pack I've ever installed, or the whole things gone up the swanny!

I don't upgrade svc pack without a valid reason. I will weight between the risk of a disaster and what I'm trying to accomplish. Don't fix if not broken.

You want to test the SP4 try it on non production server. Better safe than sorry.

Hello,

I succesfully installed SP4 just two days ago. It fixes several bugs, but still installed on a production server, just in case something stops working.

No problems for me after the process.

I have installed it on 2 laptops and 1 desktop....no problems so far.

1 Laptop is a DELL approx a year and a half old. The other is a Compaq, unsure of specs or age.

The desktop is a Dell Optiplex, over 3 yrs old.

I had it error out three times on the server (I wanted to fix those bugs) I also had it fail on two desktops and since then I’ve had a lot of problems with one of the desktops I would like to think it was just coincidence but I don’t know

I installed SP4 and when it almost completed the install, I received a message SP4iis could not install or something to that affect. After rebooting My Win 2000 Advance Server and checked My computer/properties, it showed sp4 as being installed. No other issues.

I installed SP4 on a server yesterday.. SO FAR SO GOOD
I know that's not alot of help.

who ever heard of a Computer Geek Biker

Be carefull if you run any proprietary software. My telephony client applications have stopped working since the sp4 install.

Apparently there are some subtle differences in MDAC (a reply to a thread I posted in Ericsson Md110 PBX forum).

I installed it last Thursday and have'nt had any noticable problems so far.Gregg

I installled SP4 without any complictions or errors, but after a day or two I tried to open the propeties of any folder and it just sits there never giving me a propeties window or even a sharing window....Any one else have this issue????? Tavie

I installed SP4 on a Terminal Server and had nearly no issues except Terminal Services Licensing. I have 3 thin client PC's that cannot get connected to the TS now (They could before). The event log jsut states unable to issue a client license. Any suggestions?

James Collins
Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP, MCSA, Network+

I have installed it on the lab server (DC, DNS, CA, IAS)... still working... wireless support OK, as promised.

OK We tried to load Service Pack 4 on 2 dif machines ,,Dell and a Compaq,,The Compaq was reformatted with a clean Win Nt 4 install ,It was promoted to a PDC then an inline upgrade to Win 2k Server,,with service Pack 3 installed,,no Problem ,,and it was fine ,this machine is not in production,,the upgrade stopped with a message that it could not complete the upgrade and that it would be necessary to restore the OS with the ERD and win 2000 disk,,we didnt create the ERd yet nore did I runthe upgrade with the Archive feature to do a turn back,,the SEcond machine is in production ,It is a Dell brand new out of the box ,,fresh Copy of Win NT 4 Server ,SP 6a,promote from BDC to BDC ,,then perform inline upgrade to Win 2k Service Pack 3 ,,both were working fine,,so then I proceeded to do the Win 2k service pack 4 and they both would bomb out telling me the previous error message yet once I reboot it says Service Pack 4,,HELP

I install SP4 on 2 DC and 1 laptop … it's been a week now and so far so good.

On one computer I install it directly from the web, It took for ever to pass the "Running Processes after install" section. On the other 2, I downloaded the SP and install it locally, much faster!

In a few days, I’ll try it on a bran new IBM server that is going in production…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back