Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has Anyone Installed 10.1 Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwillard

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2004
US
If so, any problems?
Even better question, any worthwhile improvments?

Boycott Sony

I've installed it in a test environment and am planning deployment in the next few months.

No problems as of yet.

The reporting is a nice feature available in 10.1. there are some other benefits as well, provided they work.

Here is a link to enhancements in 10.1

Installed it in production and it went ok. Most sub-servers I could upgrade but some I had to remove old version and install new.

Nothing major though.

Neill

Sorry this post is a bit late but I spoke to Symantec tech support yesterday about upgrading to 10.1 and they said not to bother as 11 is due out around September.

Well I went ahead and did it this week. It seems to work better as far as controlling things that you don't want detected as malware/spyware.

Boycott Sony

I installed servers yesterday and had no issues.

I would recommend at the minimum making sure whatever versions you have are either not vulnerable or patched.

If you're running 10.0.1.1000 the migration path is upgrade to 10.1.0.394 and then patch to .396.

If 10.0.2.2000 you can apply a point patch to fix the vulnerability.

I learned one thing from this past week. When symantec releases a MR or MP, install it. They seem to build releases and patches that require the latest releases be installed. If the latest is not there, you need to go back and install them in order until you get to current.

Tamper Protection is a little big buggy in 10.1 as of build .401.

We are a bank & we have some 16-bit banking software in production. When tamper protection is on we cannot use these apps as the machine will lock up & require us to power down to regain control. The interesting thing is that the machine will lock up regardless of whether the action part of the tamper protection is set to block or log. Obviously the detector itself is what's broken.

I spoke to Symantec support about it & they didn't seem to interested in trying to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back