Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone here used Ruby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geokor

Programmer
Aug 16, 2000
US
Has anyone here actually had a chance to use Ruby to build a working application? I can't seem to get anyone (management/client types) to give it a try.
George K

Management and clients have to take a very conservative approach to languages, because they have other problems than you have as a programmer. Ruby is an exquisitely powerful language, yes; but the manager and client also have to worry about finding somebody who can maintain Ruby stuff after you've gone on to other projects, and worry about whether Ruby will change so much over time that it'll end up being high-maintenance, and so on. Perl and Python have had the time it takes to establish they're safe about these things. Ruby hasn't, yet.

In 5 years, you'll have their wholehearted support to write in Ruby and you'll be miserable because something even better will be available that they're nervous about using.

i only ever get to use ruby for fun ( professional apps in the US are fairly uncommon.

it's also REALLY useful as a scripting language, to help automate your life (well, a subset of it). "If you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending a night in a closed tent with a mosquito."

Thanks a 1,000,000 My2Cents!

George K

I'd like George to reply by:
E-mail[ ] Phone[ ] Swallow- European[ ] African[ ]

As long as your at google, you can also try ruby programming

tgus

Thanks tgus. Did you know that tgus spelled backwards is sugt? I realize that means nothing (in English anyways) but for some reason I found that interesting. (Man, I really am tired!!!)

And I agree that a father's (and mother's) calling is eternal. Families can be together forever...

George K

"Families can be together forever..."

gee, I wonder where I've seen/heard that before?

tgus

Let me know if you are interested in knowing where I got that from :)...

george@gkdata.net

D&C 84:77... for from henceforth I shall call you friend(s)...

George K

And here's more;

D&C 138:47-48 ...for the redemption of the dead, and the sealing of the children to their parents...

tgus

Grace Hopper once said "it's easier to get forgiveness than to ask permission". Use Ruby anyway and tell management later. For the time being keep it up your sleeve as a personal secret weapon.

Yea

And by the time they discover you were writing all that stuff in RUBY...they won't be able to fire you because they won't have a Ruby Programmer...lol :)
My2Cents

Genius!

*now underway recoding everything in ruby!

muahaha

'mi casa es su casa'
]-=tty0=-[

Grace Hopper said that?

Mike

You cannot really appreciate Dilbert unless you've read it in the
original Klingon.

Want great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor