Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone heard the term "white labelling"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexNeil

Programmer
Jun 4, 2001
GB
Hi,

I work on B2B websites, and one of the new buzz phrases that's going around is "white labelling" - it's used to describe displaying one website within another.

So, a consumer may use a website (say mywebsite.com) that allows them to apply for something on line. White labelling refers to the fact that the screens that the user encounters during their application come from the supplier's own website - even though the user is using mywebsite.com.

Is there any information on this practice? Or is it actually known under a different name?

cheers.

I know this type of information exchange is normally facilitated using XML. The data is streamed from the vendor in XML then a XSL style sheet is applied to the data which creates the actual web site. I have not used the XSL stuff yet but I have written a number of scripts to convert the data to a web site. This is very easily done and is supported by many vendors.

The technology you are referring to may also go by the name of screen scraping or html yanking

Eric Repec
eric@ericrepec.com
If its not broke try it make it faster.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back