Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone heard of this error [co 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zarcom

Programmer
May 7, 2002
CA
Has anyone heard of this error
ERROR: Unrecoverable build error

It is occurring during the build of my msi file in a web setup project.
I managed to narrow the source of the problem down to the content files of the project that I am using to build the install. The message is rather cryptic so I am not sure where it is coming from.

The project compiles and runs fine as it is but I need to make an installer for it now.
Thanks guys/gals That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark

I had that problem and it turned out (still have no reasons for it) that it was because I didn't have an .aspx file in the root of the project, it was under a directory.
Once I moved the the files out of the directory, the web setup prject compiled perfectly and created my .msi file.

hope this helps.

hmm I look check into that. As far as I know all the files are in the root of the project but some java, all the pictures and the CSS files are in different directories. Hopefully I won't have to move them. That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark

It's a puzzling problem. Hope you find the solution soon (and please share it :) )

I have figured out the solution. Apparently, no files can be open when you are building an installer. You can save all, and do whatever you want but you MUST have everything closed when you go to build. This doesn't include web services they will be included in the installer just fine if they are open. However, I stress once again to build a web setup project - that is making the installer for a web app - ALL FILES MUST BE CLOSED.

Thank you for you time. This is going into web tips from "you know where".

That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark

Thank you, thank you, thank you...
I suspect this saved me hours! Thank you for posting your solution back here!

*grin
No Prob That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark

Thank you. I spent half a day on this before reading this thread. Close all your files!

your welcome That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark

Zarcon:
Thanks for your help, but what you mean when you say CLOSE ALL YOUR FILES? I have no files open and the error message still appers. Do you use source control(SourceSafe)?

I do not no. What I mean is in the IDE you need to make sure that you haven't opened a file for editing. The only screen you should have up is the Start page for VS.NET. Then single click to select the project you want in solution explorer and choose build from the project menu. That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark
If you are unsure of forum etiquette check here faq796-2540

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back