Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HAs anyone heard of these compilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gthopkins

Programmer
Sep 23, 1998
CA
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has heard of or used iBasic or PureBasic? How about LibertyBasic? Is anyone using a basic interpreter or compiler that they really love?
I believe some of these compile to a single exe file without needing DLLs.

I currently own MS's VB6, but find it a pain having to buy add-ons everytime I want to do something different. Then, there is that large runtime file that needs to be installed.

Thanks for your help.

-Greg

Try
Devoted to basic, it has lots of compilers listed with links and a good many reviews.

My personal favorite is PowerBasic for windows.
Good price, tight code and no runtimes required.

Exceptional help available too on their forum from techs and knowledgeable users.

yeah, I'd say PowerBasic too. For a windows basic compiler, Powerbasic is hard to beat. It's a strong basic compiler with a strong following and tech support. It produces small fast exe's needing no runtime.

PureBasic also produces small exe's needing no runtime, but it's a little odd and limited, imo. They author does seem to improve on it steadily though. I'd choose PureBasic over iBasic or LB or other simular basics that uses runtime.

In my opinion, LibertyBasic is cool and nice to play with, and it's good for teaching programming (I'd recommend the shareware version to anyone) but LB doesn't compile programs -- unless the new version 4 has changed all that.

LB only produces TKN (token) files needing a runtime, which wouldn't be so bad with me if I didn't believe there are TKN decompilers floating around the net that can extract the exact & original source code and the owners name and reg info from them. I'd recommend LB for hobby use, not professional work.

- Dav

Hey CodePost!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you like Liberty BASIC. :)

I recognize that Liberty BASIC needs a stronger packaging scheme. We are currently working on LB v5.0 (which will include ports to the Mac and to Linux), and it will have all new distribution technology including much stronger protection from code decompilation.

-Carl Gundel, author of Liberty BASIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back