Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone heard of ActivePerl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1200Bandit

Technical User
Oct 26, 2003
US
Hi,
what is it... Is it a program that administrators is to manage their servers operating platform?

Many thanks, John

You know, I think you guys (and gals!) are great! A minor question takes on a life of its own. I have really enjoyed browseing through the threads.

As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Perl is an open source cross platform programming langage.

ActivePerl is ActiveStates(software company) distribution of perl for windows, linux and solaris and it contains perl and the perl package manager.

If you want to be able to run perl scripts on a server you would need to have Perl installed so that the server can process these perl scripts.
Same thing with php, asp, cf etc.

<!--#sig value=''É'' url='' -->

I am a little aquainted with Perl, I just wondered if it was a desktop program to veiw Perl scripts and make modifications, before uploading them to a server. ( I did not explain myself well)
John

As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Best thing is to install a server, then install Perl.
It's easier than it sounds.

Download apache:
I use server 1.3.28 but you could also go for 2.0.48

Then download Perl from Activate State.

Both programs install very easily on your PC.

<!--#sig value=''É'' url='' -->

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back