Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone got an experience of Arcserve 7 for Netware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd1

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2001
GB

I want to install Arcserve 7 for Netware butI have heard some bad reports about it. is anyone out there using it?

I have it running at several customers with NW5.1 just fine. Had to install a patch to get the workstation manager functioning from the workstation, but other than that it has been ok

Be aware that Arcserve 7 still has an issue that needs to be addressed by CA. You cannot modify a job. You must delete the job and then create a new one. When you attempt to modify a job, you will not see your servers correctly (i.e. I see the volumes and files for the Arcserve server even when I select any of the other servers to choose what is to be backed up). I'm still waiting for that SP.

I upgraded from 6.1 two months ago and I have a pretty stable backup finally (with a couple of minor problems), but I must say that this has been the absolutely longest resolution period from an upgrade that I've ever experienced. A co-worker has teasingly asked me how it feels to be a CA beta tester.

One more thing. I really, really wish that CA would hire some tech support people who have better English. I get so stressed when I can't understand information that I feel could be crucial to my job. Do I need to learn another language just to get my backup working?

Arcserve stinks! Use Backup Exec instead. It's faster, easier to use, does not need all kinds of patches to make it work, and crashes less often. This is based on my own experiences of the two. Arcserve seems to load and run more on the server which degrades performance. Backup Exec loads far less and places less of a burden on the server.

Backup Exec has alot worse restore times than Arcserve. Arcserve 7 was the only product I could get to restore at a reasonable speed over a 100mb connection.

we've been using arcserve since version 6 and it's getting worse with each version not better ... stay away from it ..backupexec is more expensive but a lot better expecially if you have groupwise...

LolaRed. There is a patch for the client that fixes the modified job thingy.

Arserve 7 is a pain and needs patching but thats because sp1 has not been created. I have used both and still prefare to deal with the bits of problems with Arcserve/CA than use Backup exec, but I suppose it's personal preference. Lee Smith
Xenon Network Services
Snr. Technical Support
LSmith@xenon-uk.co.uk

Thanks for the tip, Lee. (about the ArcServe patch for the modify job problem)

I applied it and could no longer drill down into volumes & folders when attempting to Restore by Session. Needless to say, the patch came off. It's more important to me to be able to selectively restore files (after all, what's a backup up for but to restore when necessary?)

Yup. ArcServe 7 is a pain in the a** - and that does not translate to arm....

We've been using version 7 for 4 months now and it was quite a pain to get going. It took a lot of work and talking with the tech help (you have to have them repeat and repeat things until you can understand) to finally get it to work. Understand though, if you have anything like a Snap Server, version 7 will not work with it. They state they are compatible with the one we have but they aren't. After talking and talking with them, they finally said, yes we are compatible but the software doesn't work right yet!

So, we had to get another backup software, load it on a workstation to backup the snap server. Yes, I would use version 7 again, but it would be nice if they had more things figured out before they sold it, had it properly labeled and had tech's who spoke with less of an accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back