Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone figured out the Explorer Hang-after-delete Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimHorton

Programmer
Jan 29, 2000
US
Hi,
What is it that causes Windows Explorer to hang for at least a minute or so (on a very fast machine) after deleting a group of files? This does *not* have to be a large group, and after it happens once then it happens on *any* delete--even a single file.

I've seen a few posts elswhere that mentioned a few possibilities, but none seemed to be the Holy Grail.

This has happened on every win98 machine I've had--but it seems like it has just started happening within the last year or so--it was definitely not happening in my first year or two with win98 (SE). Because of that, my guess is one of the Windows Updates caused it. Possible the compressed .wav one that was actually for Interet Explorer. But I've tried undoing that fix and it seemed to help for a day, but the problem came back (I do not have automatic updating).

Any Ideas, thoughts, or similar experiences?
--Jim

Remove any viruses and spyware.

If that does not help, then see if the problem happens in Safe mode.
If not, then do a clean boot to find the cause:

If it happens in Safe mode or a clean boot does not help, then reinstall Windows over itself.

If still no good, then consider reformatting and reinstalling Windows.

This seems to be an issue only with Win98 systems with IE6 installed. Apparently it's not a problem with IE5 or IE5.5 browsers. Haven't found a fix other than uninstalling IE6 and going back to IE5.5 (which am unwilling to do).

More info can be found in this thread
If anyone has a better fix then please let us know.

P.S.

Rebooting fixes the problem till next time. It appears to be a memory leak.

It's not just deleting - any large file transfer from one drive to another can trigger this hang and as you say once it starts - it just gets worse until you reboot.

It also affects your browser - you may find IE6 hangs particularly on "back".

All suggestions, solutions gratefully appreciated.

I have been searching for this very topic for a while now as I have seen this on several of my computers (all win98). I have mostly had the problem copying or moving files to be burned on CD/DVD and never found any information on it.

I'm glad I am not alone, but this is a persistant problem. I have had the problem so bad at times that explorer simply crashes. When I shut down the task that is not responding (explorer), windows reloads it, but it is never "right" until after a reboot.

I am interested to find that it somehow relates to IE 6.0, but after thinking about it for a while, I have to admit that I didn't see this happening until I updated to IE 6.0.

Hmmmm...

I wish I had some advice, but I am looking for answers myself.

The problem is indeed IE 6.0 on win98 sp2, I verified that.
MS doesn't have downloads for any prior IE version, so if the previous version is saved somehow on the machine (In XP, all those updates get saved in "$xxxx" directories, but I don't think 98 does that.

My solution for my main machines was to get XP, which I was considering anyway. One of my daughers machines I just re-installed win98se, and click "Remove" on all the Windows Update items relating to IE 6.0.

That whole issue was extremely annoying, and I don't think MS got word about it until 98 was past it's 'supported' date, so they just blew it off.
--Jsteph

I know this thread is old, but it should still be alive. Microsoft introduced some nastiness into Win98 with IE6 (on purpose....hmmmm) I have had "some" luck running the system file checker in the system information tools. Let it scan for altered file and then replace those "problem" ones it finds. Doesn't always work, but worth a try. Always have a good backup though... never know what's going to happen to your apps when replacing some of those "system" files.

If anyone else is still dealing with this issue, would definitely like to hear your thoughts.

Hello I know the feeling I think that the following might help. It has helped me for my Win98 system. I was having trouble with hangs after moving or deleting files. And the solution I found was the following.

In Win98 if it hangs on delete for a bit,
then go to Tools,
Then Folder Options,
Then choose Classic Mode,
Reboot,
Then can switch it back to Custom Mode if you want.

That worked for me for over 6 months, then it started up again and I had to do the fix again, and since then purring like a kitten.

I think that should help most of you.
Let me know how it works out for you.

Thanks

Op

Ooops Tools is for Win2k & XP
for win98 it should read;

Open My Computer or Any Folder > then go View >
Folder Options > Classic Mode > then Reboot

That should be clearer.

Sorry about that.

:)

Status