Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone else noticed... (Lack of skills) 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
Has anyone else noticed that the IT field is getting filled up with people who haven't a clue about computers? I have a friend who was a proxy administrator a year or so back. He'd always complain about how all the help desk issues would get dumped on him because no one in help desk had a clue about the problems at hand. It got to the point where he couldn't do his own job because he was doing the jobs of helpdesk all the time. No wonder he quit after 6 months. I had to deal with an "MCSE" who once came to me and asked what an "Insert CD" message was. What is going through the heads of these HR people? Do they see a few certs on a resume and hire these people to fill some quota? Really, no wonder so many good IT people are out of work, they're giving all the jobs to idiots who'll work for minimum wage.

Has anyone else noticed this trend in the It industry?

-al

I think that's going to happen to any field where you have what we had with IT over the 90's. You have a rush of people who want the education, and just not enough teachers to fill the spots. Personally speaking I had an excellent teacher for my first two years of high school before he was hired away by the industry (this was 95, so no big surprise), and my professors in college were amazing, with all the credentials, industry experience and teaching know how one could imagine. But, I can certainlly imagine this not being the case all around, especially at schools who jumped in with half a budget and an eye towards making a profit off the wave.... even in the case of well intentioned schools, if they don't have the budget or an established program they'll have trouble hiring well.

-Rob

I have to agree with the teachers bit. My high school CST teachers (CST == Computer System Technology, class for the A+) were great. But when I got in to college, my IST professor didn't know squat. To be fair, I did pick up a few things I didn't know before, but overall, I was extremely disappointed by her class. Now, I'm not saying teachers are to completely blame, as there are people who cheat on their cert. exams, cheat in class, and know people who can get them a job when the would-be employee knows absolutely nothing.

I am Comptia A+ Certified

Actually oddly enough, this is what I did love about Devry.

#1 I got ALOT of hands on experience. Had an equal amount of time in lab as I did in lecture, both with the teacher in attendance.

#2 Our teachers had impressive working credentials and most still worked during the day using what they taught at night. I had a statistis teacher that graduated from MIT and worked on a a well-known Mars project for NASA. My ASP teacher worked suring the day for a large and well-known web development company that was known for hiring the best and brightest from Devry.

(Of course these were all night and accelerated courses, not sure I can say the same about the day school teachers.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back