Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone converted SQL Server db to MS Access before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

christianbecker

Programmer
Nov 27, 2001
US
My employer just bought a new magazine that has an existing website using asp and sql server. I have been asked to port the sql server database to MS access to save the company from spending $5000 to buy sql server.

I have found lots of threads on converting access to sql server but not the reverse. Anyone have experience with this?

Like you said you didn't found anything on downsizing, only upsizing.
But if you already have SQL Server, why should you buy it? Or is the upgrade that expensive?

I you are acustomed to drive by car, you wouldn't go back to a bycicle. S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

I have the limited developers version that only allows for local work and is useless for development remotely on our host server. I was able to get a copy of the sql db that I can view locally and i successfully exported the tables to access but am now trying to get a handle on compatibility of stored procedures in sql server vs. queries in access.

If you have any useful comments in that regard it would much appreciated. Does that answer your question about whether I have sql server? No, my employer does not have this and wishes to avoid the $5000 expense by me downsizing to access.

Maybe you should look at another database system, I mostly work with Interbase (Also developpers version with some modifications). But is cheaper (I heard) then M$ SQL Server, and do not need to run on a NT server. If the stored procedure are queries, it must be simple to replicate them with cut and paste of the code in access, if it are functions the thing complicates.

I learned SQL by making queries in paradox, and with cut and paste transport them to Interbase.
But you will lose a lot of flexibility when down sizing. S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

The biggest problem with "small" databases like Access, Paradox, etc. is they only allow limited number of connections. Unless you are expecting a limited number of visitors to your web site or they won't mind a slow connection, I would go for something more powerful. Interbase is good, also look at MySQL. They are more powerful that the smaller databases. See or . James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that I am now qualified
to do anything with nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back