Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone considered the Hitachi SMS100 SAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsmithyx

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2008
US
Hi just wondered if anyone else is looking into this machine?

My company bought one to test out for our remote offices. We love it and will be sending it out to all our remote offices around the globe.

Small, inexpensive, RAID protected, iSCSI (no new switching required) and built by HDS. Sweet!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

I can't seem to find much info on these. How many have you rolled out? Any problems with them?

We've rolled out 3 so far and have a few more to do. They have been very easy to do and don't require a lot of time to get them up and running. We've used the FC interfaces instead of the iSCSI as they are being attached to the remote office DC server which also shares out CIFS to the workers desktops. Very easy to get running in my opinion.

Check out for more inforamtion, including data sheets.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Are they being used for any databases or Exchange and how is the performance?

My situation is that I am planning to purchase a Netapp 2050 for our main office and was going to get a Storevault S550 for our remote office. Netapp just killed the Storevault line. So now I'm searching for a solution other than Windows DAS. The SMS100 seems to be even more redundant than the S550 and supports faster disks. Although what I was planning on doing with the S550 was replicate data back to the main office.

I'll probably contact Hitachi directly to find out more.

We're just using it for file storage at our remote offices, but for such a small package it is very fast. Tons of redundancy and a nice mix of drives. For simple installations where not much space is needed, but redundancy and performance are I would definitely recommend this box.

Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back