Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anyone applied BCM.R400.SU.System.023-200909

Status
Not open for further replies.

Signo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 5, 2006
US
I was wondering if anyone has applied BCM.R400.SU.System.023-200909, and if so have you seen any problems. The release has a date of 9-15-09, and I don't have a current spare to take a chance on my main office unit.

I am admittedly behind on updates and was going to catch up, but don't want to get into trouble with a fresh out the gate update.

Thanks for any feedback.

Signo

firebirdscrambler,

Thanks for the info. You just don't know sometimes.

Does anyone know where I can download this patch other than from my vendor? My vendor wants to charge a fee.

When you read the patch description it has a pep dep of 160? but I can not find this on the pep list?

These are the lates:
BCM.R400.307_BCM_4.0: BCM.R400.307-DHCP Emergency Patch 4.0 Released 2009-11-10

BCM.R400.SU.SYSTEM.024_BCM_4.0: BCM.R400.SU.System.024-200910 General Patch 4.0 Released 2009-10-13

BCM.R400.SU.DESKTOP.015_BCM_4.0: BCM.R400.SU.Desktop.015-200910 General Patch 4.0 Released 2009-10-13

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

What does it mean by this?

"PEP Dependencies BCM.R400.160"(this is in the txt for the BCM.R400.SU.SYSTEM.024 su)

Where do you see what pep's are already loaded? I have soft ver. 4.0.2.21d

When I look under admin/software mgt/softwareupdate history there is nothing, is this where the previous peps should be?

Thanks

if there's nothing there it means no patches have been loaded on that system.

R400.160 must be loaded first before SU24

Thanks Dasheen,found it, its in the download of the SU patch

wichie

Guys, Can any of you let me know if you have tried installing Nortel's SU System 025 patch on a BCM 400 that hasn't had any previous patches installed?.

It sounds an odd question, but I was helping one of my colleagues last night who was going to rebuild a new BCM 400 using migrated keycodes. He did a BCM 3.7 to 4.0 without any problems etc.

After he entered the new *.lic file, he started loading in the system 025 patch, which many of you will be aware that it's in 2 parts. Each part requires a reboot etc and the first one is the small Management 5.5k patch.

The issue here is that I seem to remember that the Element Manager patching status was that the "top" Management patch is available and the "lower" SU 0xx type patch was listed as INVALID and would only be available after the Management patch had been installed and applied (reboot etc)

In my colleagues case, his BCM Element Manager screen showed both patches to be available. He therefore followed the normal practice of installing the "top" Management patch and this was OK. He then installed the "lower" SU 025 system patch, which had around 80 patches.

This went in OK, but failed when it tried to apply them. He then found out that it couldn't install any other patch on the BCM. I got involved and the Management patch isn't able to be removed!. Anyway, I was able to reimage the hard disk using an Acronis copy that I've done and I followed the same process as my colleague had done. By this time, there were 4 BCM engineers looking at this over a few beers.

As stated above, both parts of the BCM 025 patch showed to be available and we were using my Laptop, which was running the latest copy of Element Manager (to find out if the issue was on my colleagues Laptop etc). We read through the patch description for both parts time and time again and it now states that the SU, must be installed FIRST!.

Not wanting to re create the same problem again, we went straight for the SU025 80 odd patch install and this was applied OK. However, when looking at the SU patch to install the Management part, we discovered the patch status for that had changed to obsolete and the SU025 was shown as being installed.

I think this is very misleading by Nortel and I don't want to see anyone else get caught out if they have to patch a new system.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Just finished a 3.6 to 4.0 upgrade & than intalled the System 25 patch with no problems.It is a 2 part patch as it will show 2 patches available when you run it. Install the BCM.R400.160-SoftwareManagement first & than after the reboot log back in & run the patch again,It will show the BCM.R400.160-SoftwareManagement as having been installed & the System 25 as being available.Run the system 25 at this point.Took about 1 hour to install both patches. I had been using the system 24 patch exactly the same way for the last 4 or 5 upgrades with no issues.Element Manager that I am using is 60.3.0

Hello Pccal

Many thanks for replying back. I've now found out that my colleagues Laptop had an older version of EM at release 50 xxx etc. I'm now wondering if this was the reason why he had encountered problems?.

This may explain why I was OK after a 3.7 to 4.0 upgrade 3 Months ago as I always try to have the latest EM installed.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

I also had a problem with the 2nd half of this patch. We had to get Nortel involved. They had to delete alot of files beyond cdr and spawn files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back