Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Has anybody else experienced a problem with the Virgin post form CGI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianmoticon

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2002
GB
I've typed in my form exactly as Virgin says ( using the following CGI code:

<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="formp.cgi">

This can be found at my website at
The acknowledgement page is loaded but I do not receive an email. I've tried using "submit" either inside or without quotes (in the submit button code). I've tried it with a name or without a name (for the submit button code).

Nothing works. Virgin do not provide any help whatsoever.

Does anyone have any comments?

there is no form name

might this cause a problem?

Kind Regards
Duncan

Thanks for the suggestion. It doesn't mention that a form name is needed. I've seen other similar forms which do not use form names.

yep. i didn't imagine it was crucial - just an idea!

i'll keep thinking...

Kind Regards
Duncan

There is no mention of hidden fields on this site - and yours contains one named mailto

I doubt it works this way - it would be a spam gateway

I imagine it knows your email details from your a/c ... ?

Kind Regards
Duncan

Yes, I added the "mailto" just to see if it made a difference. It doesn't work with or without it.

Presumably it's using the HTTP_REFERER to determine which page the form is on, and thus where to send the message. Some security programs (Norton, Zone Alarm, etc.) stop the browser from sending an HTTP_REFERER header, and will thus stop you getting the message. Try lowering your security level to see if it works.

If that's the problem, the script is going to be pretty useless. If your provider won't let you use a better one, move to a host that does. There's plenty of good, cheap hosts out there.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

or write your own, or look for a different one.

I have one here somewhere, if needs be

Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back