Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hardwire usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozispimp

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2000
US
ok.. first, i'll explain what i'm doing.

i'm going to purchase a nomad jukebox zen. my plan is to hardwire this device into my car. now, there are two ways to properly power this device.

a) the power adapter on the left
b) the usb pwoer adapter on the top.

now, the reason why i want to power it through the usb port, and not the left, is because the music out port is also at the top. i want the cleanest installation possible, so that means since the music out is at the top, the best place to power it would be through the top.. this way, i wont have to use that extra inch to the sides to power it.

now, i've found a usb power device. but it plugs into the cigarette lighter, which i use for something else. i need something that will let me power it straight to the car. sort of like how ipod users are using firewire ports hardwired into their cars, to power their ipods. there seem to be plenty firewire adapters, just can't find any usb ones.

anyone help me out?

tia!

Your cigarette lighter is just a source of voltage. You should be able to cut the end off the plug and wire it into any other power source. (don't forget a fuse in the line).

thanks for the reply.. i cut open a usb cable.. and saw four wires

white
red
green
black

you wouldn't happen to know which ones do what would you? specifically ground/power

Red is power (good place for the in-line fuse), black is ground, white and green are your data (to and from) lines

a) the power adapter on the left
b) the usb pwoer adapter on the top.

You sure b) isn't an output?

Careful not to let the smoke out. I don't know why the put smoke in electrical components, but I know once you let it out things don't seem to work afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back