Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware Wizard Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkham77

Technical User
Sep 16, 2008
GB
Hope someone can offer some assistance with the following...everytime I start up Windows XP, I get a 'New Hardware Wizard' message, explaining that there was a problem during installation, and 'the data is invalid'. I haven't installed anything recently (only Service Pack 3 - the message has appeared before this though), and the message disappears as soon as i select 'finish' from the dialogue box. I have also tried cleaning the registry, but still the message appears. It doesn't really affect anything that i do, it's just abit annoying! Thanks in advance.

If you go to Device Manager (Click Start --> Run, and type "devmgmt.msc"), does anything show up with a question mark, or exclamation point next to it? If so, I would start troubleshooting there. Also, check the Event Viewer for clues.

Please excuse my ignorance..Event Viewer? I shall try what you've suggested. Thanks for your comments

To look into Event Viewer, right-click My Computer, Manage, Event Viewer. This will show you recent behavior of the System & Applications. Bad things will be a bloody red "X" and harmless things will be a benign blue "i". Double-click the red X to get a description of the Event error.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Have checked thevice Manager as suggested by guitarzan, and there is nothing with a question mark or exclamation mark next to it. I will try the Event Viewer nxt. Thanks for the pointer, Tony!

Supposed to read...Have checked the Device Manager as suggested by guitarzan, and there is nothing with a question mark or exclamation mark next to it. I will try the Event Viewer nxt. Thanks for the pointer, Tony!

You receive a "Cannot install this hardware" or "An error occurred during the installation" error message when you try to install a PCI device

WD My Book not instaling
thread779-1470911

See if this link gives you a few iseas to check out, it is only meant has a guide.

Data is invalid.

Check your MSCONFIG (Run MSCONFIG) for anything thats in your startup.

It sounds like something is trying to install when you boot up it should be nice and easy to disable using that.

Do you have any USB devices connected ?

Also have you changed any hardware whatsoever around when you got the error ?

Have you installed any VPN software or Emulation software of any kind (Daemon tools - Power ISO - Hamachi) ?

Thanks linney...will look into 'the data is invalid' thread.

Cheers ACooperman...Did try MSCONFIG, but doesn't appear to solve anything. I DID try and install Daemon Tools (Lite), which failed, and I believe the message has appeared since then. Any ideas?

Thanks both for your commments.

System Restore may be worth a try?

See if the message pops up in Safe Mode.

Ahh the Daemon tools installer will be failing everytime at startup, try running the installer again after a reboot and it may work, the easiest way to fix this is to get daemon tools to work and then uninstall as desired.

Thanks for all comments. Tried a system restore..no joy! Computer says that there has been no changes to the system..and I restored it to 3 months ago.
Tried reinstalling Daemon Tools (Lite), and still didn't work. Uninstalled and screen remains upon startup.
Will see if appears in Safe Mode, but I may just have to live with it.

Thanks anyway!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back