Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware/Software Vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlebriar

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
I have a small PC repair service. I'm looking for vendors that cater to this type of business. I would like to be able to resell software such as Microsoft, Norton, etc. I'm also looking for hardware vendors that also service the small business guy. I know in any business your suppliers are very important to your success. Anyone have any favorite vendors they work with for this stuff?

Thanks,
Steve

Greetings,

I have been in the computer business for over 20 years. Much of what I do is service PC's for my clients. So, I guess I am in the PC Repair business also. I have only ever worked with local suppliers who build white boxes for resale. They have the resources to buy for Tech Data or the other distributors. If I were to buy from a distributor, I would have to pay freight and deal with RMA's and other crap like that. I buy from a company that does retail sales as well as selling to resellers and I also work with another company that sell to resellers and some corporate.

I buy from them at about 10% over their cost, but they have greater volume so they get discounts. If I ever have a problem with a part, I take it to them and they replace it on the spot. As an example, tomorrow I will take a floppy drive and a mouse back to them and they will replace it on the spot. Had a bought directly for a distributor, I would have to deal with the RMA issues myself. I may save a buck or two, but I lose it fast on returns.

Develop a relationship with the owner and the sales team. You need to have people who know you and will work with you. I have been buying from the same people for over 15 years. I have been through many sales reps, but the owners know me and know that I am consistantly buying from them.

Also, don't worry about price. You should be making your money on service. Sell service, not price. Under promise and over deliver. Anyone can fix computers, not everyone can solve peoples computer problems.

Let me know if you want to know more.

Marc

You don't need high volume to buy from Tech Data, nor Ingram Micro probably. RMA's isn't a real problem, I've found TDs service to be very good.

Getting the best price is a different issue. I buy from CDW or MicroWarehouse (the same now, I think) since I can often buy from them at retail cheaper than I can buy from Tech Data.

If the customer can get a better price, let them. I also advise people looking for computers to visit dell.com and cdw.com themselves. If I order it, there'll be a small profit addition to cover my costs.

I'm located in upper Michigan. Most of my purchases are for replacement parts, memory, video card upgrades, etc. I probably only spend $2000 per year on parts. I've purchased most of my parts from standard on-line sources such as Tigerdirect, Page, Newegg, etc. I usually search for the best price and order accordingly. If I find a good deal someplace I will usually buy to stock inventory on items such as power supplies and hard drives. We are in a rural area so neither I nor my customers can just bop down to the corner CompUSA or even Best Buy. They are 60 miles away!

I'm particularly interested in finding a source for software that works with resellers. I do quite a few Windows XP upgrades and like to have anti-virus programs on hand to sell to my customers. I wouldn't have a problem with minimum order of a couple of hundred bucks but any more than that would be too much.

Thanks for the advice so far. I will be checking out the Tech Data suggestion later tonight.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back