Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware reset on PIX 501

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonelliv

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
US
I am trying to configure a PIX 501 that I don't have the admin password for. How can I do a hardware reset of the box to take it back to its "out of the box" settings?

I feel like I'm talking to myself here..... :)

That .pdf was helpful to get the password recovered. How do I know what version of the PIX software I'm running? Does anyone have some directions in English? (LOL)

I wouldn't be opposed to just wiping out everything on this box (that I just inherited) and starting from scratch if it is easier.....I'm new to cisco products (but not new to firewalls)

when you are logging in, do a >clear config
and you should be set to start from scratch.

MCSE/MCDBA
SANS GIAC + SANS FIREWALL

The .pdf I found sounds complicated to a novice like me. Is there a way to just reset the whole box to the default configuration (password included) without actually logging into it?

HI.

> How do I know what version of the PIX software I'm running?
You will need to connect the serial console cable (colored blue in most cases) to COM1/COM2 on a PC, and run a terminal emulation program like hyperterm.
Then power-cycle the pix and follow the instructions in the PDF you have or here (same doc...):

If you have a specific problem, please describe what have you done and what you got.

Yizhar Hurwitz

You can get the version by connecting to it with hyperterminal, then reboot the firewall, and it states the version in the startup sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back