Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware required to add DSL internet with PIX & Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

snailworks

Technical User
Aug 2, 2002
US
I currently have 4 locations connected via Frac-T1 Frame Relays. At the central location, I have a Cisco 2621 (1 Serial & 2 FastEthernet(1 unused)). At this location, I am adding a DSL line for internet with a PIX 515 (2 FastEthernet). All 4 locations will share this DSL for Internet access.

My question pertains to hardware requirements.
I already have the 2621 and the PIX.
(1) Do I need another router to go between the DSL Gateway and the PIX? (The PIX will do all NAT/PAT) If so, can something simple like a Linksys work?
(2) Can the PIX Inside Ethernet port connect to my unused FastEthernet on the 2621 and config the 2621 to route all internet packets to this port? Or do I need another Serial port?

I will try to answer as best I can with the given info...

1 - depending on the DSL service (cablemodem?) you may need a router to get the DSL over to Ethernet for the PIX interface.

2 - You can plug the PIX directly into the 2600 router's spare ethernet, the setup to give internet access to ALL sites would then be very easy - REMEMBER to use a crossover cable though.

I have a very similar layout. I have three sites connected thru Frame. At the HeadEnd I have a PIX 506 and a 1750. The two RemoteSites each have a 1750. All three sites obtain internet access thru a cable modem.

The cable modem is connected to Ethernet0 on the PIX. Ethernet1 on the PIX is connected to a 2900XL switch. The Router is connected to the 2900XL switch thru the 10/100 Ethernet port on the back of the Router. The Frame is connected thru the WIC 1DSU T1 card on the back of the router.

I am not familiar with the 2621 at all but, this does the job for my setup. I hope this helps.

I have a similar setup at home, I have a DSL connection and using a PIX with PPPoE configured on the E0 (Outside) interface, then using a crossover cable, I connected the inside PIX interface to E0 on a Cisco 2514 router. All networks inside route through the 2514 to get to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back