Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware inventory - report creation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omul

Technical User
Dec 22, 2006
MD
Hi guys,

I need to automatically create reports about hardware changes on the client pc-s. I want to make a hardware inventory on time per day and if is a change on one client - to notify about this change somebody.

Could you give me some advice how I can implement this future in SMS 2003.

Thanks

I believe you are asking multiple questions here.

Q) Can Hardware Inventory be run at a specific time every day?
A) Yes, in the console, Site Settings, Client Agents, Hardware Inventory, for Inventory Sechedule you would like a "full schedule, of daily, at the specific time you indicate." Personally, I'd leave it at simply, daily. But that's just me.

Q) Can a comparison be made between Current Hardware Inventory and Historical Hardware Inventory?
A) Yes, the SMS database will have current and (limited) historical hardware information. If you are looking at the views when you create a report via the console, you might notice some views start with v_gs and v_hs; v_gs is the current, v_hs is historical. Note not every computer will have historical information--if nothing has changed for that particular inventory, there won't be anything historical.

Q) Automatically notify someone about changes to hardware inventory.
A) I don't have a concrete, "here's how", answer. Just a direction. Although I've never done this, this sounds like if you had an SQL wizard/guru, they could schedule tasks to run the reports you want. I have no idea if they'd be able to schedule emails or something based on the report results.

You don't mention what/why you are monitoring for changes.

Blog:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back