Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Harddisk failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

harryockhuysen

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
NL
I have a problem with my Wd 120 Ghz drive. Suddenly it started making clicking noises. The computer freezes and all I can do is reboot.After reboot the active partition is wiped and I have to reinstall Windows. WD sent me a new one which, within ten hours, had the same problem. Now,there even was a moment that the bios didn't detect the drive anymore. WD are sending a new drive but I want to be sure that the problem is not somewhere else.

If WD hasn't pointed you to their hard drive diagnostics, it can be found at:
The DLG Diagnostics should identify a bad/failing drive.
Most often when the BIOS can't see the drive on POST, it tends to be a bad connection or IDE cable. Try replacing the cable and then running the DLG Diagnostics (I'm surprised WD hasn't had you do this yet).
Good Luck.

I agree with LANmass, use a new IDE cable and run the diagnostics, also your #1 IDE connection on the mainboard may be bad (unlikely but possible). If you continue to have problems, tell WD to give you a refund! I'd recommend a Maxtor Hard drive, I've used them personally for years and only use them on custom systems I build, as well as replacing HDD's in systems with bad drives.

If the ide cable and power connections are fine try the secondary connector on the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back