Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

harddisk.exe wont go away in processes menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny13oi

Technical User
Nov 21, 2004
US
hey guys .. i have this thing called harddisk.exe that wont go away in the processes menu .. i try to end the process but it wont go away .. does someone know how to remove it .. i think it might be spyware

AdAware SE and Spybot Search and Destroy (both free).

yeah i have both .. but like .. it doesnt detect it =/

Check "MSConfig" and see if it is being called from there. Why are you trying to get rid of it? Do you have any third party programs that may need it?

iono .. just never seen it there .. and now i do .. and i dont like the sounds of it .. hahaha

Hola, technically this is the wrong Forum...

but...

Turn off System Restore, first... Boot into SafeMode, Kill Process then Run Spybot and AdAware, then HiJackthis...

also check your Autostart Progies usind HiJackThis (LOG function) and handle as appropriate...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

while in safe mode, you may also want to delete the system cache (%windiw%\temp) and the internet cache as the file is probably loading from there. one good free utility that can do this is the ilSystem Wiper. firewalls (like zonealarm) also help a lot in preventing such kinds of apps from being installed in your system without your knowledge.

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside."

ok this process is like killing my computer .. harddrive.exe constantly uses my hard disk or something and is using like .. 25% of my cpu all the time .. and everytime i kill the process is just comes back or never goes away .. i tried to boot in safe mode and kill the process but same thing .. and spybot doesnt catch it or something .. i gotta get this thing offa my computer .. its like killing it

this process is killing my computer, i cant terminate it because it starts back by itself .. and its like .. using 25% cpu usage all the time .. and continually using my hard drive .. i gotta get it off my computer .. please help .. its slowing down my computer sooo horribly and it just gets worse and worse .. ive tried spybot and safe mode .. doesnt help

i have read at other places too that this thing affects their computer .. and same thing too .. but copied itself to different places

i suspect there's a .TMP or a batch file loading somewhere somehow. can you find all such files in safe mode and delete all of them manually? then restart and see what happens.

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get one million miles to the gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside."

MSconfig is the best place to start.

(Start ---> run ---> Msconfig)

Look in the startup tab and see if your harddrive.exe there.

If it is, uncheck it.

Do a search in your hard drive for harddrive.exe
and rename them all.

It really depends on how smart this virus is. It might be coming from another exe that you don't know of which keeps recreating it.

-----------------
MK

Ack! It looks like that's part of the spyware program 1stBar. Delete all references to it and mnumubwm.exe in
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run
HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/RunOnce
HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run
HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/RunOnce
and delete C:\WINDOWS\harddisk.exe and C:\WINDOWS\System32\mnumubwm.exe

Also look at

I am having the same exact problem. Is this a virus, or spyware? I have tried running AVG Antivirus, Spybot, and Adaware, to no avail. Help!

@demery5 - one thread per problem... please, as this would lead to understanding problems etc....

thanx...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back