Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Harddisc defect - repair/restore ??? Heeelllp

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecppmss

Programmer
Jul 6, 2004
DE
I worked with a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB for several month without putting it to the rack. It worked fine.
Now I wanted to close my PC an screwed it to the rack.
When powering on a little bang came from the Disk and my room was dark.
I put it out of the pc. Measuring the resistance between the point of the yellow cable and mass I found that there are 0 Ohm.
From now on I cannot access the data on it. The HD does not spin up.

Has anyone any idea how I can restore the data?
Can the HD be repaired?
thanks,
Peter

You can buy an IDENTICAL drive and swap out the controller boards - probably work fine in this scenario. Has worked for me with Seagate SCSI and Fujitsu ATAs.

Andy.

You may want to figure out why the PCB shorted in the first place. Just in case your second PCB shorts the same way. Who knows what made that happen. Maybe the short is inside the drive itself and it was just a surge that also damaged the external PCB.

Or screws that were too long.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks to all your answers,
the first I looked for have been the screews. They hadn't been too long. I think it has been a short in the drive itself.
I will try to get the same drive and swap the controller.
I hope that this will work.

Thanks,
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back