Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard reset IP Address on 3300

Status
Not open for further replies.

dray1

IS-IT--Management
Sep 8, 2004
US
Does anyone know of a way to hard reset an IP Address on a 3300 switch. The previous net admin hard coded a routable IP out of our old class C block. I really dont feel like pinging 255 addresses to find them. Without sending them back to 3com is there any way to reset to factory defaults? You know, a magic button somewhere on the unit.

do you not have a console cable and just use hyperterminal to connect and put in a new ip through the CLI ?

have a look in your DHCP and see what has been excluded and try those to find the ip of the switch

3COM makes some great software for there switches. Look up 3com director or Network manager 5.01. They are free to try, just scan with that.

Also, I think that you can use FORCE FORCE (user/password) and reset the switch. That might just be for the COrebuilder line but I think I used it on a 300 once. Also the FORCE thing is if the user name is not Admin/no password with the console cable.

What I ended up doing was loading 3com Network manager on my computer, assigning my computer an IP out of our old IP Blocks then running the network manager. Once I had the correct IP block in my computer it saw the switch and let me reset it. The only device hooked to my PC was the switch I was working on. I then rotated through the switches and reset them back to factory.

Hi all,

Have been given a 3Com 3300 24-port switch (3C16980), but I'm getting all the port lights on except 2 - varies between port 1 and port 3 - both green and orange flashing, and all the unit lights on. Looking at the online documentation I presume this means it's knackered. I can't log onto it using the serial port, it's not registering on the LAN. I don't have a Matrix cable and we generally use Cisco switched here so no-one else will have one either. I have one other of these switches but it's a 12-port and want to swap it out for this one. Be a shame to have to bin it but I don't want to spend lots of money getting it fixed.

Any ideas?

Matt

Matt, I believe that all 3Com switches come with a life time warranty. I ship my bad ones out all the time and they send me a new one at no cost. You may want to check this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back