Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard drives - IDE and SCSI working together 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iorek

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2002
GB
I want to get and IDE hard disc working with a SCSI system, I only want the IDE hdd to be secondary and the SCSI to be booted from but i can't seem to get them working together....... How can I do this?

Usually you can set your boot options in the BIOS to boot from SCSI. Unless you machine is too old and does not support this option you might consider a program such as boot magic.

Alex

Unless technology has passed me by again, it won't work. Defaults to IDE as boot when both are available. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

what SCSI controller are you using, i know there are a few settings on adaptec cards ( ctrl+a to enter BIOS). if you can put the IDE drive as master on the secondary controller and adjust that BIOS as required. If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

Ed,
Sorry to say, but technology has passed you by once again ;-). Most BIOSes made since 1996 allow you to boot from the SCSI drive even if you have an IDE drive installed.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back