Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard drive trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlynch1

Technical User
Dec 20, 2001
IE
I bought a Hitachi 7k250GB drive recently. When I set it up as master, using the jumper settings for master (on a sticker on the drive), the bios has trouble picking it up. The Bios takes ages to load, as does the bios setup. It then says hard drive 1 not recognised. In the bios setup it picks up the hard drive as being 137GB.

The computer is a dell dimension 8100. Its Bios is Phoneix Bios Plus 1.10 A06.

The drive runs fine when it is set up as a slave. Anyone know how to resolve this?

Hi

It sounds to me that you need a BIOS update, im sure the 137 GB reported is limited by the BIOS

A BIOS update will get around this limit and allow your computer to see all of the Hard Drive, you can find the BIOS update from the Motherbaord manufacturers site, download it and perform the BIOS update from a floppy etc

Cheers

Jamie

Hi Just thought

If you go to the Dell site and enter your service tag on your PC, there will be a nice list of downloads for your PC including BIOS updates, you could download the coirrect one matching the description of your BIOS details etc and perform the update

You must treat BIOS updating with a lot of care though as you could mess things up by applying the wrong update etc

It might be best to call Dell support, they could send you the link by email and you could download it

Cheers

Jamie

on the dell website they have the bios upgrade but its seems as old as the version thats on it already

BIOS: Dell Dimension System BIOS, English, Dimension 8100, A06

Dimension 8100 A06 FlashBIOS
File Name(s): 8100_A06.EXE,B8100_06.exe
File Date: 01/05/2001
File Size: 474112 bytes
Downloads: 0

Damn,

Have you tried calling Dell?

Their support technicians could possibly provide you a link to a site

Failing that you could do a google search or think about upgrading your motherboard

Cheers

Jamie

Im am currently running XP service pack 1 on a 20gb drive.

I want to set up my 250GB drive as the master and run the Operating system off it.

I think all your questions should be answered in the links I posted earlier; if you need clarification on anything post back.

Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back