Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard drive thinks its a removable drive?? Help plze!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

webstruck

Technical User
Jan 31, 2002
GB
I used Drive image to clone my Conner Technology 10GB HDD
onto a Maxtor 20Gb. All went well, 20GB fine as master with 10GB (still containing original data) set as slave...both were up and running in Win2KME. Then the system crashed..and now it boots up with the 10GB slave as a D:/removable disk of only 512mb!! have tried everything, the Drive image programme/Fdisk/clear CMOS/Format...but still thinks its a small removable drive. Autodetects the wrong cylinder head settings and if I put them in manualy it overides them and puts Goggledygook in the drive name space. if I run it by itself as a master (as was originally set) it spins up for a few seconds and hangs on the 'Verifying DMI pool' screen. Is the drive shot or has drive image maybe upset something??? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have you tried to restore the Master Boot Record?
Also have you checked the settings for the drive in the device manager,see if the removable setting is not checked.

it's not much advice but hey you never know!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back