Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive there but not there 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpinetech

Technical User
Mar 16, 2006
CA
i have a WD740GD drive.
it worked fine in another machine.
when i set it up on the sata2 port it detects in bios ok
computer management see's it too. the hard drive label is blank in computer management. in my computer it isn't there at all. i installed the western digital utility tool. it see's it but not windows xp. what else can i do.

forgot to mention. there is another sata drive hooked up aswell. both are MBR.

Did the other machine have a program called GoBack installed?

alpinetech,

Do you need the data that's on the disk?

Freestone,

I have seen a number of your posts referring to GoBack software as a possible culprit in many scenarios, can you elaborate on why that is?

Thanks all

Tony

Tony - GoBack changes the System ID in the Partition Table to hexadecimal 44, one that is not recognized by Windows. Once a drive or partition that has been altered by GoBack is placed in a machine that does not have GoBack installed, the partition(s) seems to "disappear" as the drives don't show up in Explorer and Disk Management shows the partition(s) as RAW, or some other unrecognized state, if it shows it (them) at all.

List of partition identifiers (System IDs) for PCs:

For Windows System ID Values:

Dell

freestone,

Thanks, have a star!

alpinetech,

How's it going? Any news to report?

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor