Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard drive suddenly isn't recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpwned

Programmer
Feb 6, 2009
US
I have 3 seagate barracuda 500 gb sata drives in my computer, and yesterday one of them stopped working. when i try to boot from it it says "choose another boot device" or something to that effect, and when i boot from another drive, the affected drive doesn't show up at all! i have no idea what could cause this, as it never made any noises or anything to indicate failure was imminent, and it is only a few months old. if anyone has any ideas on what the problem could be, please let me know!

If you look in the BIOS is it listed there with the other 2?

What operating system are you running?

Can you here/feel the drive spinning when you turn on the machine if you place a hand gently on it?

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I'm afraid you are the victim of one of the duff firmwares that Seagate has installed on it's 500/1000 & 1.5TB 7200.11 drives.
There are two threads going on this forum that give you the answers you need (general and hard drives I think)
Basically you need to download Seagates SD1A (latest repaired version) which will bring your ST3500320AS back to life: basically downloading an ISO boot image to burn to disk, setting your CDrom as first boot device, then follow the onscreen prompts.
I would flash one at a time (don't leave them all connected together, also make sure you know exactly what models you have (I'm betting they are ST3500320AS) with one of the effected firmwares (think SD14 through to SD19)

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

@paparazi

looks like that's what it is =(. my hard drive fits all the criteria. i can't find where on their website to get the download, so i sent their support an email so hopefully they'll get it to me. in the mean time i guess i'll just see if i can find it on a torrent or some other way. anyone know an easy way to download it? thanks for all your help, also!

update: i'm an idiot, i just found it on seagate's site. i'm about to flash my hd, wish me luck

Good luck!!! How did it go??? Still with us???

Tony

Users helping Users...

Yeah...how did it go? flashed my new drive on thursday and all seems OK.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

no luck =(. i got an error that said something like "error: unspecified drive found. expected ST3500320AS", but that is what i have! i am so confused. also, when i tried the option to scan drives, it didn't find any, so i am not sure, but maybe this means my hard drive isn't even powering up?

...maybe this means my hard drive isn't even powering up?

Could be. Check the power connector with a meter or use another connector. Once it powers up,it should be easy to tell whether it's running by touching the metal parts of the case. It should also show up in BIOS at POST if all connections are good.

Tony

Users helping Users...

it seems to be powering up, i can feel a couple of almost shudders when it turns on, like as if it's revving up. however, it doesn't show up in the bios at POST. do you know if there's any other way i could make sure that it is definitely powering on?

also, thank you all very much for helping me! i greatly appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back