Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard drive stoped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRcs

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2004
AU
BAFFLED:

if any one can help me it would be great, whilst fixing a clients computer the i did a standard reset and when it booted up it wouldn't pick up the hard drive, and wont in 4 other computers. I have never had this happen to me before, can anyone tell me if you can get data recovered from anywhere even if the hard drive wont read in the BIOS???

JSRcs
I would certainly not write it off just yet!
Try a new IDE cable
Try hooking it up on another system as slave to an existing master
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Yeah i have done that on my personal system and it just refuses to be found. Still baffled

If the controller card is stuffed a data recovery company may be able to help.

What make is the drive?

rgds
Zeit

If the bios recognize the disk ,data can be recovered by
"getdataback" for sure.
Two versions exist .
GDB for FAT .
GDB for NTFS .

Free trial for scanning the disk can be downloaded from

If you want to restore files ,licensed version must be purchased.Test with the trial if data is recoverable.

Try it out.

syar

been seeing a lot of 20-40gb hdd from maxtor and seagate failing...in the last week I've seen 7 hdd's fail. everyone a 20 gb maxtor that shows hdd0 failed during boot. Diags won't even start with these drives.

Yeah well thats what it is a 20gb Maxtor

What could be causing this? any ideas

Is the drive spinning up freely or making any unusual clicking noises?
If the fault is a mechanical one with a seized platter it is possible to get it running at least long enough to transfer data from it.

You can try tapping the drive on a hard surface such as a table a couple of times although not too hard,or sometimes if you seal the drive into something like a freezer bag and leave in the freezer overnight this will temporarily reactivate the drive.

If the fault is not a mechanical one and the drive is either totally dead or spinning freely the fault will be on the pcb and not a lot can be done unless you find an identical model drive and swap the pcb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back