Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad3329

Technical User
Jun 25, 2001
US
Im building a new computer and i would like to get a maxtor 80 gb hard drive.....i would like to know the difference between 7200 and 5200 rpm's...is it going to make a big difference....especially in games....
thanks....

depends!

If your main concern is which is better, usually the faster rpm gives better performance, although you have other factors that can impact your performance such as video cards, processors, etc. and if these are not up to par you may not really see a difference in game play although thru benchmarks the drive will show up as faster.

Personally I use a Maxtor 60g 5400 rpm and I'm pretty happy with the performance, of course I'm not a hardcore or even a big time gamer, just a casual gamer.

Just my 2 cents worth and probably worth that much to you. lol

The difference in price isn't that much, say $20 - $30 to go from a 5400 RPM to a 7200 RPM.
** The difference is HUGE, in overall system performance if you want a high-performance computer, ESPCCIALLY in todays games (the high end 2001 / 2002 games), and the upcoming games.

I would recommend the MAXTOR ATA/133.

MAXTOR 80GB 7200RPM Model # 6L080J4 - OEM, DRIVE ONLY D740X Series Ultra ATA 133 2mb Cache Buffer 8.5 ms Seek Time - 3 Year Manufacturer Warranty 80.0 gb 7200 rpm

** It is ONLY $128,,,,,,, and $7 shipping. A paltry $135
for the fastest HD out there. I know, I run them.

......... $7 is for FedEx shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back