Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive setup issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

blesher

MIS
Jun 8, 2006
US
Just purchased 200GB Maxtor EIDE drive. Connected to a USB external device to set it up using the includec MAXTOR software. It states it will only provide one partition of 137GB. Don't understand this. can someone please explain how I can get access to all 200GB. thanks.

Buying a Maxtor hard drive is the frist place you went wrong..
I've been hearing of hard drives that come with viruses and spyware installed on them. True or false i don't know but jus try formating the hard drive. Right click mycomputer, Manage,
Disc managment right click on the hard drive you wan't formatted, then format make sure that the drive is fully formated check the size of the partition or return the Maxtor

What ServicePack version are you running? By default, the original release of Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP Professional do not have 48-bit LBA support enabled.

How to Enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows XP

Second to Linney, make sure that 48bit LBA is available in the BIOS (SETUP)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

some older USB and Fire Wire ext. drive cases only could see 137 G. I have a older fire wire dule case like that. If you drive case is new and not a old surplus you should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back