Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HARD DRIVE PROBLEMS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowryt

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
IE
I HAVE AN OLD GATWAY PC WITHA ONE GIG HARD DRIVE 133PENTIUM 64 MB RAM, I RECENTLY BOUGHT A 10 GIG HDD AND UP GRADED THE BIOS SO THAT IT WOULD RECOGNISE THE DRIVE , I WENT THROUGH THE PROCESS OF SETTING IT UP ON THE BIOS AND HAD NO PROBLEMS THERE, BUT WHEN I REBOOTED THE MACHINE WINDOWS (WIN 95)COULD NOT SEE THE DRIVE, CAN ANY BODY TELL ME WHY.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

Be more specific.

Did you set up the tracks and cylinders in the Bios, or did the bios automatically detect the drive?

Did you run FDISK and put a partition/logical partition on the Hard Drive?

Did you set the primary partition as active?

Did you format the drive with the OS, with the system switch?

format c:/s

If the system files are not on the drive it will not boot, if it is the only drive.

Did you set the right jumpers on the back of the hard drive and set it up as slave/master?

How many drives are on the computer?

Which EIDE port are you on, and are there 2 devices on the port/cable? If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

I automatically detected the drive and I set up a primary partition and it was slaved on the second ide slot and there are two hdd in the system , remember I did say this was an old system . I'm only want to use it for storage space.

thanks.

I assume that BIOS made a success of auto detection

Can you boot on a startup floppy and access the drive? (try D: E: F: in that order)
if not, it's no wonder Windows can't see it.

You might have to use fdisk to create a new partition on the disk - and assign it a drive letter. I've forgotten the details of how fdisk works, (I don't remember things like that unless I'm looking at them!!) so if anyone can fill in the details, so much the better. BE CAREFUL! fdisk can mess up your C: drive as well.

Either way, if you can get it to work in DOS you can make it work in Windows

Good luck.

You fdisk'd the drive but did you format it? The new drive as slave should be D:. And you don't need to use the /s unless you plan to move it to the bootable position.
If you have logical drives on the old drive c: they will move up a position and any logical drives on the new will fill in above the logicals on the old. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Try changing the hard drive you have on the secondary IDE slot from slave to master.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back