Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive password

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyager

Programmer
Jul 22, 2002
US
Hey y'all,

I think i'm having a MAJOR brainfart, but I can't seem to figure out how to set the hard drive password. I've been looking all over for info on it and i wonder if i'm just wording it wrong. I don't mean the normal user login name and password. The one that comes up as the computer is booting...before windows starts. I used to (aka win9x) be able to hit one of the f keys and screen (the bios i believe) would come up pand let me set it. Can't seem to find that now. I feel silly.

-M

ahh...yep.....I know once someone tells me how to do this i'm gonna spend the afternoon slamming my head on the desk for forgetting this.

it depends on the computer, some use f2, some f1, some f10, some esc, i have even seen ctrl-shift-esc for a really old one. Try looking on the manufacturers site if you cannot get it.

ugh.......i figured it out.....f1 off a fresh boot......sorry guys

... just don't come crying to us when you forget it ;-)

Greg.

ugh!!! if you had any idea the number of times i rebooted and hit every f key i have on this darned thing. and saying to myself "your a programmer, you can figure this out." I searched everywhere...including the manufactuer site and microsoft (*sigh* cause that place is so helpful). I am so ashamed of myself.....i won't forget this again. :)

What is the difference between regedit and regedit32 and why wont regedit32 work on my pc?

The boot-up password is still located in the BIOS ... it's totally independent of the operating system being used. Depending on what BIOS you're using, hit the proper key (it normally will tell you on boot-up) and look through the various pages (usually under something like 'advanced') for both the boot-up and machine password entries.

BTW ... needless to say, watch where your fingers fall on this one ... and don't forget to record the password somewhere ... if you forget it, you have to take the machine apart and disable the CMOS ... which ALSO destroys all your BIOS settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back