Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj1182

Technical User
Mar 15, 2008
US
I just dl and installed a whole bunch of HDD temp monitors. My temp is over 400F degrees, I never thought this was possible. My system isn't running sluggish. What should I do?

Thanks.

The HDD temp monitors are not working for your drive. Check compatibility. Uninstall them and forget about worrying? Or mentally divide by 6? Keep looking until you find one that does work. In my experience, if you don't get the utility for your mobo and drives it never works. Visit you mobo manufacturers website and see if they offer a free utility to download.

P.S. 451F is the temp paper catches fire.

P.P.S Don't touch the drive - LOL

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

I knew it was impossible to get that hot. Thanks

Touch the HD and if you get a blister then it's HOT, otherwise I wouldn't worrt about it.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

tj1182 said:
I just dl and installed a whole bunch of HDD temp monitors.

Which ones? If you provide a list I can see if I have any freebies to recommend.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I own a HP Pavilion 7955 desktop computer, and now wnant to replace the main hard drive with a larger capacity one, onto which I will load the original operating system, xp Home.
My question is how do I identify the right HD by the info on the outside of the box it comes in. I already bought a new hard drive and then found that my connectors will not fit it. Thanks for any help.

If you hook it up with the old drive in it, it's going a slave drive. You'll see it my computer as D or E.

You most likely bought a SATA drive, you probably need a IDE drive. You could also buy a SATA adapter which will fit in a standard PCI slot.

wahnula, I was using HD Tune, HDD temperature, and, HDD thermometer.

I use HD Tune most of the time on my laptop since that gets hot pretty quick.

jplot: in the future, start a new thread when you are asking a new question that has nothing to do with the original question.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

tj1182,

That's a pretty comprehensive list...I've heard of this problem before, it's usually a problem with the S.M.A.R.T. sensors either not being there or out of whack. No worries.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back