Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard drive or not??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello everyone

I have a system with 2 80 GIG hard drive, both are brand new. The OS is on the Maxtor D740 80GIG ATA 133, The other is just for storage and is a WD 80 GIG ATA100. I have a A7V266-E Asus mobo. I have the OS HD on the primary IDE and the storage HD on the other "promise" primary IDE.

Heres my problem and question

Everything works fine with no errors, except for one little thing that I noticed. When transffering a good size file to the storage HD, everything works great, it shows the file tranfers box and all is well. NOW, when moving that same file or any other file of decent size back to the main HD with the OS on it, the systems acts as if it hangs, meaning the mouse pointer freezes for short periods of time during the transfer,and sometimes the transfer box doesn't even show during this time, but yet the file being moved doesn't seem to take anylonger transferring. "meaning, the file is still being moved, just not showing the progress. No unusual noises come from the main drive.

A freind told me it might be the ATA133, to the ATA100 difference, and that the system is actually trying to catch up to the ATA133, but thats a little far fetched I think.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

well since it is functional, just mildly annoying.. My opinion on this is it might be the hdd controlers drivers. or something.. or some weird thing in windows other than that I seriously doubt it is actually a HARDWARE issue.. but it works right? thats what matters when you gotta get that file moved. you could move files from dos errrhehehehe...

FatesWebb js error; 67 on line; 36 of signature.class

Check out if your CPU is being completely bombed during the file transfer.. Try this program
It gives a simple bar graph showing CPU usage.
If it is during the large file transfers,then your CPU and memory are getting involved in the mix.
PEACE Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Ok, I downloaded that neat little proggrie you suggested and It shoots up to 100% everytime I move a file to the main drive. It never goes over 50% when moving files anywhere else. It even stays under 50 when moving files around on the main drive. Its only when I move stuff from the second HD to the Main HD. Any ideas on what it might be or what I have to do to fix it?

Sorry, I should have included my specs

AMD 1800+ XP
Asus A7V266-E mobo
Main HD Maxtor 80GB ATA 133
Other HD on seperate IDE promise controller WD 80GB ATA 100
Windows ME OS
384 megs of RAM
350 watt power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor