Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive not seen on CallPilot 201i

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT1Mac

IS-IT--Management
Sep 5, 2007
US
CP 201i NTRH30AA card
Maxtor 40G Fireball 3 HD

I've got two diffrent systems that have Callpilot down with both of the cards not seeing the hard drives. I've have tried to replace with another 40G hard drive but the card will still not see the hard drives. Is there something special about the Maxtor hard drives? Or can any 40G hard drive be used?

I find it kind of hard to believe that two diffrent systems would fail with the same problem. Has anyone ever had a problem with the CallPilot card not seeing the hard drive that was something other than a hard drive failure?

You must use the Maxtor direct replacement drive for Call Pilot. It's rare that you would have a hardware error on board the 201i. Do you have a current backup on the tape drive? Are you using the "image" CD's to restore the system? How old is the system? What software are you trying to load? We rebuild them all the time without any real problems.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help? Call Me Now!

Hello,

I recently had the same issue and my hard drive was toast. I went down to the local computer store and purchased a 60GIG IDE hardrive off the shelf and installed it. I then booted up the pilot with the install CD and started the long and boring road of re-installing a call pilot.

Any IDE hard drive will work. Just make sure the jumper is set correctly.

Have fun!

I been replacing a couple CP 40g with 120g hard drive with no problem and reloading from image.
This is for CP release 4.04.04.

The 201i cards have been up and running for a couple of years now. So the cards are the older 201i cards without the usb ports on the face. The software version running on them is CP 5.0 (should be the current version) and I am using the software CD's that came with the upgrade.

Tape backups are on hand when I get it up and running.

The hard drives that I have been trying to use are Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 40G hard drives. Model ST340014A.

When the CP card boots, there is the one screen (white) that list everything attached to the motherboard. Right from the post the hard drive is not seen, so the software is the next step in the build process.

I've tried to Google a Maxtor direct replacement for the fireball hard drives with no luck. Where can I find the info on what the direct replacement or what hard drives are compatible.

The Maxtor Fireball 3 is one of the most reliable and quiet hard drives. The newer Seagate Momentus 5400.2 drive is another "reliable" mini drive. Both should be available from your local vendor at a reasonable price, or you can find them on the net for cheap. New is better! ServerSupply has them in stock for cheap.
We have tried others, and the MTB-Failure rate is to high.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help? Call Me Now!

Are you booting off the CD? IT wont boot of a blank HD

Seagate Momentus drives are no longer being made, but Seagate Barracuda Model ST340014A works. Problem I had is that the hard drive was not showing up in the post process, and the other hard drives I had on hand were not showing up as well. Just got the Seagate Barracuda in today and the CallPilot card is seeing the hard drive, so I'm busy loading the OS and software.

Just wanted to put a finishing reply to this thread. The Seagate hard drive was recognized by CallPilot, I was able to load all of the software, and got the system back up. If you are having a problem getting a hard drive to be recognized by CallPilot or need to replace a hard drive, look at the hard drive mentiond above.

make sure the jumper on the drive is set to master, if it is set to anything else the 201i won't recognize it. some don't come that way out of the box anymore. They have another setting chosen that basically means auto sense. I don't remember what that is so just make sure it is set to master.

The setting that most hard drives come set for now days is "Cable Select" in my experiance.

make sure jumper is MASTER position

msn: ngensysatlc@hotmail.com

works IDE only. I made tests with 120gb, works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back