Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

mot98

MIS
Jan 25, 2002
CA
Hi All,

A friend of mine asked me to install a new HD on his system, and upgrade to 64mb of EDO RAM.

The RAM installed fine, but when I went to format the HD, it does not recognize it. To test, I put the HD in my own system and formated it. I then re-installed it in his system and booted with a win98 boot disk. FDISK sees the drive, but when I try and cd to "C:" it tells me that it is an invalid drive.

I have checked the BIOS, and can't seem to get this damd thing to work.

Any ideas??

Thanks...

mot98
[cheers]
"I'd rather be dead and cool..then alive and uncool."
---Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man

Have you tried jumpering it as a master and having it be the only thing on the IDE channel? Sometimes, HDD's aren't compatible.

Cheers!

How big is the HDD? You're talking of EDO RAM, so it's an older system. Probably you'll have to flash the BIOS or use so called overdrive software.

I think what hw45 is referring to is called "Disk drive overlay" software or DDo software. Also check your jumpers on the back of the drive. Some drives have a jumper for "master with slave present" if this is enabled and there is no slave there it may have problems picking up the drive.

The system is an old P1 133mhz, the HD I am attempting to put in, is a 6GB WD. I have it jumpered to be the Primary Master, and it is on the correct IDE cable.

I am going to try and upgrade the BIOS to see if this will fix the problem.

mot98
[cheers]
"I'd rather be dead and cool..then alive and uncool."
---Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back