Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard drive not recognized 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

therowguy

MIS
Aug 19, 2002
US
I recently rebuilt a P2 450 with Windows 2K. I added a new cd-rom drive, too. I was going to add more memory, too, so I took out the existing RAM to see what type I needed to buy. After I reinstalled the RAM, I was having trouble with the video card- it wasn't recognizing the card. It turned out that the video card came loose after I removed and re-installed the memory, so i removed the card and re-seated it. The machine would then boot up fine, but now it doesn't recognize my hard-drive. The machine was working fine after the initial rebuild, so I'm not sure why all of a sudden it won't recognize my hard-drive. I tried physically removing the HD and reconnected the cables, but it didn't work. I've checked all the cables connecting all drives to the MB, but everything is fine. I also tried re-installing the OS but it will still not recognize the HD. Any suggestions?

Check your bios settings, try and set to auto, or use user settinds to see if that will do any good. "More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

You might have a bad cmos battery.You can get them prety cheap at radio shack but you will have to know the model of the battery which is displayed on the battery.

I checked my bios settings already, and I did an auto check on the HD but it still did not recognize it.

I'm not familiar with the cmos battery. Where is it located?

I should also note that I put the "faulty" HD in my Win XP machine and XP did not recognize the drive.

Sounds like you've got a dead drive.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back